Oregon 700 Geocaching Map Problem

GOJim

New owner of this unit.  I've noticed when viewing the map from the geocaching activity town and city labels aren't shown, but they're visible on the map outside of the geocaching activity.  This makes it really difficult to locate an area you want to load caches in using Geocaching Live.  I just talked to a Garmin support rep and it behaves the same on his GPS also, so he said it must have been designed that way to make more room to show the geocaches icons.  Is everyone else's Oregon 700 like this?  And, how do you locate an area you want to cache in before selecting the refresh icon if you don't have any town or city labels on your map?

I'm not familiar with the 700, but with other Garmin units you could use 'Find/Cities/Menu/Spell Search' to center the map on the city you want to search around. Once identified, 'Find/Menu/Search Near/Recent Find/City Name' might work for you.

I agree with the previous poster that you should check your map settings for the zoom and detail level settings to see if that would make a difference. 

Thank you Dyver and John for your input.  I have tried zooming in, but the only thing I get are hill labels and then, eventually, street labels, with no town names.  I have also increased detail to Most, which adds a lot of "clutter" but no town names.  Its interesting to note that after I've selected a cache and press GoTo, the map immediately is populated with town and city labels.  Its almost as if they're being suppressed while in caching mode.

As far as searching for a city goes, the only search available within the Geocaching activity is by GC code.  I can search for and find a city on the "regular map"  outside of the geocaching activity but lose that when I go to the geocaching map, which has the button to download local caches through wi-fi.

I'd be interested in hearing from other Oregon 700 owners to see how they work around this obvious glitch.

Problem solved!  Upon review of the owner's manual I discovered that within the geocaching activity you have to do a search first, then you can choose a point on the map, which shows the cities and towns, and then you can download caches for that area.  If you go to the map first, it will show your current location, then pressing the refresh icon will download caches in that area, if you're connected to geocaching.com through the Bluetooth connection on you smart phone.