Suggestion: State of member: Died (Buried) member

Paradiesvogel

Hello, unfortunately we had in Hamburg, Germany, two very active members, who died. Those were Mystphi and Hatje1. Although we try to keep Mystphys caches active and I do not know what about Hatje1's Caches, because it is too actual, it is worth, thinking about this state, even for a correct adopting of caches. Geocaching has now a history of 18 years, and I think (this is naturally) there should be a regulation and state  for members who died. 

• Upvote 1

Do you mean that GS should indicate on a cacher's profile page that the cacher has died?

How would GS even know?  I do not think GS should make such decisions based on other cachers just saying "hey GS, cacher ABC has died, please mark their profile as such".  It would need to be something that family members of the deceased cacher would have to inform GS.

And even then, it could be difficult if GS cannot directly link the deceased person's name to their caching name.  A good plan would be for cachers to include directions in their papers, so when they die then their family members know what to do. Include their geocaching name, login info, what they want done with their caches - maybe designate another cacher that family members can contact (including that contact info) and that other cacher can direct family members about how to adopt out or archive the caches. Something along those lines. But other cachers should also give the surviving family members some time to deal with the loss before expecting them to deal with the deceased cacher's hobby.

Geocaching HQ honors the preferences of the deceased geocacher's family.  Sometimes they'd like all the caches to be archived.  Sometimes the family directs adoptions to other geocachers.  Sometimes they say to just let the caches remain as they are.

Adoptions are not processed without the cache owner's consent.  If the owner is deceased, then the right to consent passes to their heirs.

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Paradiesvogel said:

For example: Last month I did an EarthCache. But I did not get any response. Last visit of the owner on geocaching.com was in  2017. There is never ever a family who rules everything.  

Were you asking the Earthcache owner a question, or just submitting your answers?

There are plenty of Earthcache CO's that do not respond to "finders" - that does not mean they are dead, or even that they are inactive.  You do not need to receive a response from an Earthcache owner before logging "Found It" on the Earthcache.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, Paradiesvogel said:

Geocaching has now a history of 18 years, and I think (this is naturally) there should be a regulation and state  for members who died. 

I'd bet I'm not the only one who has passwords and things in my will.     :)

I did that because as RuideAlmeida and Keystone explain, it was discussed some time ago that the family of the deceased is the ones to decide.

-  Just like they'd  handle the important, other things pertaining to the person who died...

• Upvote 2