How do I set up a private cache

sasigns

5 minutes ago, sasigns said:

I am sorry perhaps i am unclear. What would be a way to have the info given to the girls using the app?

To do a private cache as you describe, you will not be able to use the Geocaching App. 

If your camp has GPS units, you can have the girls enter the coordinates as waypoints and find the things (caches) you have hidden in the camp.

• Upvote 1

In order to use an app as it's normally used the cache has to be listed on Geocaching.com, and in order for it to be listed it has to be available to the entire caching community. At my previous location I assisted in a Boy Scout geocaching program where caches were placed for the program but were still available for other cachers. 

You won;'t be able to get the cache information into the Geocaching.com app, but you can use it to navigate to any set of coords.  If smartphones with the app loaded are all you have, you can make it work.

See how to add waypoint section in the App article -> you'll need to be navigating to a cache that's in the app, and then add a waypoint - > YOUR cache. Now the app will navigate to it.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, sasigns said:

I am sorry perhaps i am unclear. What would be a way to have the info given to the girls using the app?

Do enough girls have Geocaching accounts and the installed App, for everyone to play?  They can team up.  As mentioned, if using the official App, they'll first begin navigation to any Geocache, then a field becomes available to add waypoints to your caches.  It's kind of a roundabout way to navigate to a custom waypoint.

If the girls aren't very familiar with the Official Geocaching App, and especially if they haven't even set up the App, you will be spending time getting Apps installed and set up, then helping everyone add waypoints.  It will be similar if there are several handheld GPSs to load.

Another option is to install a "free GPS" App (search for one that seems OK), such as Spyglass, which is available for both Android and IOS.  Custom waypoints can be directly entered.  You'll still have to test your chosen App in advance, since there still may be settings to work on.

AND remember that most phones have "Map" Apps installed already.  For example, Google Maps on many Android phones.  Type coordinates into the address bar of a web browser, or into the Map App, and an icon appears at the location.

Since most of these options require printed info anyway, you could instead print a "treasure map" of the place, with directions from various landmarks, and not need any "App" at all.

Edited by kunarion

Another thing to consider is the ages of the girls. Are they of age to have an account on the Geocaching website? Do they have email accounts to validate their new account? Have their parents consented to the account?

Perhaps one account for the Troop would be the way to go.

Edited by K13