Designing Cool Containers

We took 11 dollars worth of materials. We took epoxy and stuck a Big bison tube to a rock and let it dry. Then inside we left it holding a  bison tube, holding centrifuge tube, holding a small nano for 4 layers of redundancy keeping the log book dry for our underwater cache GC8948E sitting at the bottom of the James River in Richmond, Virginia. We then painted the rock and set it at the bottom of the river. So far this design has managed to stay dry for a month not even the first container has been breached. Message me with questions.

20190528_190751.jpg

IMG_20190605_145830_099.jpg

20190528_190751.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, xlavenderteax said:

Could you get small containers at a craft store? I have a craft store near me and I was thinking of making a container.

At a craft store I've mostly bought parts for signature items, or for TB attachments.  Or items for specialized camouflage of a container.  Occasionally I find a particular paint.  Most "craft store" stuff is for... crafts... and not durable enough for the wilderness.  But you might find something that's great for swag, on clearance.

You may find soda bottle preforms in a craft store, in the hobby/science section.  Or little plastic paint pots that have threaded caps.  But those being "Micros" tend to need replacement frequently, which makes them much more expensive, compared to buying a bunch of that item elsewhere.  A container designed to be opened and closed many times is preferable to one that really only needs to be watertight until opened (one use).

Preforms:

210MwgZhayL.jpg

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

Put this together thinking it would be easy to place. This electrical box is most commonly used for electrical connections on large motors. I modified it to look as though it's feed was coming up from the ground and used neodymium magnets on the back for attachment. The magnets also hold the secondary box which carriers the stash and log book. The front cover has a very good seal to keep water and bugs out and the conduit is blocked and sealed at the bottom with epoxy. 1574024841_peckerhead.thumb.jpg.2a04c512e7a0183a7a5dd14d9bc93fe7.jpg

3 hours ago, Bstewotter said:

...incorporate a nanocache into a small rock.

Can you incorporate a small cache into a medium rock? :) 

I imagine it's basically the same technique - use a masonry drill to put in some holes, then chisel out the extra material. It's just a bit more time and effort. So long as the rock is small enough that most cachers can roll it over, the cache can be mounted under / inside the rock and protected from the elements. And a slightly bigger rock is less likely to wash away in a storm.

Work within your capability, but my personal preference is for caches that have enough room for swaps and TB's rather than just the log. If you do it, share it here before you place it!

• Love 1
On 10/16/2020 at 7:42 AM, Unit473L said:

Can you incorporate a small cache into a medium rock? :) 

I imagine it's basically the same technique - use a masonry drill to put in some holes, then chisel out the extra material. It's just a bit more time and effort. So long as the rock is small enough that most cachers can roll it over, the cache can be mounted under / inside the rock and protected from the elements. And a slightly bigger rock is less likely to wash away in a storm.

Work within your capability, but my personal preference is for caches that have enough room for swaps and TB's rather than just the log. If you do it, share it here before you place it!

There was this one I found a while back:

RockCache.jpg.56993420a55172492a0af0cb5c475c8f.jpg

The CO has done quite a few like that so he must have some good rock-boring tools.

I must say, the house looks really good. I'm currently working on a gumball machine with an integrated logbook. Unfortunately not finished yet, otherwise I would have gladly sent a picture. 

I'd be careful about the ammo can, though, regarding the guidelines: "Choose a transparent container to show that the contents are harmless."

"Do not hide containers that may be considered bombs or dangerous items".