Android App like Garmin Oregon software

Torgut

Fellows, I am trying to make my backpack load lighter and I would like to leave my Garmin Oregon behind but

... I am not happy with any of the Android apps I know. Sure, for GC only there is a nice bunch, but an integrated solution like the software in the handheld units...? Any ideas? 

30 minutes ago, Torgut said:

Fellows, I am trying to make my backpack load lighter and I would like to leave my Garmin Oregon behind but

... I am not happy with any of the Android apps I know. Sure, for GC only there is a nice bunch, but an integrated solution like the software in the handheld units...? Any ideas? 

What Apps have you ruled out?  Locus Maps has a lot of mapping functions.  There are subscription services that have Apps that are nice for detailed TOPO maps or trail maps, and planning routes, such as GAIA.  You can find just the Apps you need, to add to the phone.  For example, do you use your Garmin's tide tables?  You may have to find a suitable tide table App.

Edited by kunarion

Backpacking?  Locus Map, already mentioned, has to be *the* best map app for outdoor recreation. The feature list and map choices are boggling. Can work completely offline, and seems happiest that way.

The fact it's also a caching app is just bonus.  Give the free version a whirl.

No idea if it works like an Oregon, but I'm guessing the feature list is bigger. I consider it a complete Garmin replacement.

a2c443f4-d172-404a-a88c-ad089b445de7.jpg

Here, I'm getting fancy, showing two maps at once. Oddly, the local map app has more trails than OSM, so I overlaid a screenshot.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
6 hours ago, Torgut said:

I tried Locus some years ago. I will give it another try, but I tried plenty of apps recently and none came even close to the Garmin handheld units software, which include street nav, total offline usage, waypoints management, tracks, stats, profiles, etc. 

Locus does all of the things in your list above. I have tried many geocaching apps on Android and iPhone. There are trail and hiking apps out there that handle tracks and maps, but Locus is the only geocaching app that supports tracks, routes, street nav and all the other things you mentioned - online or offline. And it has the widest support for both online and offline maps. 

Technically, Locus is not a geocaching app. It's a mapping app that has a number of add-on/plug-in modules available. There's a geocaching add-on, and brouter adds offline street routing, for example.

I did a 2 month experiment this summer and used only Locus for my weekly hiking/geocaching outings instead of my typical website/Basecamp/Garmin workflow. Definite learning curve, but it can be done.

8 hours ago, JohnCNA said:

brouter adds offline street routing

BRouter is short for "bike router", and in bike- or hike mode, will give turn-by-turn directions down the trail.  It's also effort-sensitive, and will avoid hills if it can.

Beat that Garmin.  A power team.

Oh, and in my phone, Ivona (sultry voice) is also on the team. I do anything she tells me to. After ten metres turn right.