Etrex 20x v 25

ico1977

I’m considering buying a GPS and am torn between the etrex 20x and 25. While there is a lot of information available about the differences between the two (mainly one being joystick based and one touchscreen, and a few more points), does anyone have hands on experience with both and can offer an informed decision on their preference and why? Thanks. 

Have been using 20 & 20x for some years now. I find it handy to be able to use it one handed, especially when on my bike or in a tree. I'm not sure how efficient a touch screen would be as the screen is fairly small, especially if one has fat fingers. At least where I live I never have to cache whilst wearing gloves. Keen to hear responses , pros and cons, from 25 owners.

1 hour ago, colleda said:

Have been using 20 & 20x for some years now. I find it handy to be able to use it one handed, especially when on my bike or in a tree. I'm not sure how efficient a touch screen would be as the screen is fairly small, especially if one has fat fingers. At least where I live I never have to cache whilst wearing gloves. Keen to hear responses , pros and cons, from 25 owners.

Thanks. It’s like you know me as I don’t have the tiniest fingers so this was one of my worries. I’ll also be unlikely geocaching the peak of Everest so gloves are not an issue. The 20x is cheaper too. Any other thoughts welcomed. 

20 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

If you decide to go with the eTrex Touch, have a look and see if you can't find an Oregon 600 for around the same price. It's a much better GPS.

I agree 110%! - Especially when compared to an eTrex Touch 25, which is lacking the barometric Altimeter and wireless features that are standard with an Oregon 6x0.

The eTrex Touch series seems to be the answer to a question nobody was asking.... They are essentially a neutered Oregon 6x0. Every time I examine an eTrex Touch in person, (having owned Oregon 6x0 and 7x0 units), I always ask myself 'who is this for?' and 'why?' 

On 11/10/2018 at 3:43 AM, ico1977 said:

Thanks. It’s like you know me as I don’t have the tiniest fingers so this was one of my worries. I’ll also be unlikely geocaching the peak of Everest so gloves are not an issue. The 20x is cheaper too. Any other thoughts welcomed. 

I don't know this individual personally but it may be worth inquiring about this,