gray caches that aren't premium

suzimc

I am a basic member.  There are caches that show up green on my laptop but when I look them up on my iphone, they show up as gray with a note stating to upgrade to premium.  If I attempt to bring it up with the GC number on my iphone. it will tell me to upgrade. I revoked the authorization, then deleted the app from my iphone, the uploaded the app again and the problem still remains.  What can I do to solve this problem?

You're confusing "advanced" caches on the app with "premium members only" caches.  You can view an advanced cache on the website but not the app, unless you upgrade to premium.  You cannot view the details of a PMO cache on either the website or the app.

To "solve this problem," you could upgrade to premium or use a different app (but with a different set of restrictions).  Or, you can use the information obtained from the website about an advanced cache, and search for it using a handheld GPS or by inputting its coordinates into your smartphone manually using any suitable navigation app.  This includes inputting its coordinates as an additional user-created waypoint on any cache that you can view in the official app.

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
27 minutes ago, pelpinda said:

And still... you can see things on the laptop as mentioned but not in the app. Really strange. Maybe @Keystone can reply on the how and why. 

The App makes ‘simple’ caches available to basic members, and encourages them to sign-up for a fuller experience.

Groundspeak is of course a commercial organisation - it has to make money - but this model is also intended to prevent the frustration of somebody that’s just downloaded the App, from starting off with trickier caches and cache types, e.g. travelling to the posted coords of a mystery not realising a puzzle has to be solved first, or turning up for a cache high up in a tree without climbing gear.

The assumption is that basic members accessing these trickier caches and cache types via the website will be (hopefully) a little more prepared.

Regarding cost, there can’t be many hobbies that cost as little as 50 cents a week.

• Upvote 3
7 hours ago, pelpinda said:

I think it is ridiculous since I had to buy the previous app and now have to signup for a lot of cache every month??? And still... you can see things on the laptop as mentioned but not in the app. Really strange. Maybe @Keystone can reply on the how and why. 

Also... why is the premium membership that expensive?

I bought  the Yahtzee App, and now it no longer functions, and the new version is a pay as you go App.  Many Apps I bought are gone now. Game Apps are subscription, or at least require special effort to play without paying.  Same as the Geocaching App. "Apps" are expensive to develop and support, and it's been possible since Geocaching started to cache without an "App" at all. 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, pelpinda said:

I think it is ridiculous since I had to buy the previous app and now have to signup for a lot of cache every month??? And still... you can see things on the laptop as mentioned but not in the app. Really strange. Maybe @Keystone can reply on the how and why. 

You can see and access "advanced" caches not available to basic members on the app by just going to the website for information.

That's simply part of Groundspeak's commitment in keeping the hobby "free" (or affordable to all).  You need to work a bit for free...

Using the website, you're able to access all cache types, all D/T for free, with the exception of  premium member only caches.

- For example, I've loaded caches manually to a GPSr since joining this hobby.  All cache types, all difficulties and terrains.

Because I'm a premium member, that also includes pmo caches if I'd like to access them.

If I wanted to give up pmo caches (and do...) I could easily become a basic member and cache the same way I've done since starting.

I remain a premium member to help the site a bit in costs allowing basic members to play for free.

Premium membership costs haven't changed since this hobby started premium memberships.  A deal really...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/25/2019 at 5:16 AM, pelpinda said:

Expensive? Compared to what? I spend way more on the gas to get to caches than on the Premium membership.  I don't app-cache so my cell phone plan doesn't factor into my costs, but I bet most people spend way more than $30 per month for their cell phones compared to the $30 per year for the premium membership.  It takes people and equipment to keep the game going and those aren't free.

• Upvote 2