Google Ads

colleda

6 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Adblockers only block adds from showing up in your browser. 

Adbock is not the only protection here. I also use NoScript, Ghostery and Disconnect. This combination doesn't even connect to the ad/tracking servers. Most cookies are cleared often too except for "trusted" sites and that's a very short list B)

The only downside is that when I first visit a site I have to allow a few things before it works.

On 11/8/2018 at 6:50 AM, on4bam said:

Adbock is not the only protection here. I also use NoScript, Ghostery and Disconnect. This combination doesn't even connect to the ad/tracking servers. Most cookies are cleared often too except for "trusted" sites and that's a very short list B)

The only downside is that when I first visit a site I have to allow a few things before it works.

My point is that tools like adblocker, NoScript, Ghostery and Disconnect all run in your browser.  They only prevent you from seeing something that has already been sent to your browser.  As a paying member I don't want commercial solicitation sent at all.   Perhaps this harkens back to my early days on the internet 35 years ago when there was a big debate about unsolicited commercial email and a faction of people that just said, "if you don't like it, just don't read it".  I think it's pretty obvious how that strategy has worked out.  

1 minute ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

My point is that tools like adblocker, NoScript, Ghostery and Disconnect all run in your browser.  They only prevent you from seeing something that has already been sent to your browser.

What Ghostery prevents is, when a pages from GS is loaded, the requests to load "spam" are not executed. So the browser can't connect to xxxadserver. The ad/tracker is not loaded. You can check this with tools like wireshark or in the console of FF where I see lots of "can't connect to..." I can even check this server side for my selfhosted analytics.

As for spam, I still report all spam to spamcop.net. It helps to get spammers on blacklists.

• Helpful 1
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

My point is that tools like adblocker, NoScript, Ghostery and Disconnect all run in your browser.  They only prevent you from seeing something that has already been sent to your browser.  As a paying member I don't want commercial solicitation sent at all.   Perhaps this harkens back to my early days on the internet 35 years ago when there was a big debate about unsolicited commercial email and a faction of people that just said, "if you don't like it, just don't read it".  I think it's pretty obvious how that strategy has worked out.  

Unfortunately, that's not one of the benefits of Premium Membership.

On some 'member' websites that sort of ad exclusion exists, but not here.

At least GS keeps it to a minimum; only on the right side and MOST OF the time, I see cache-related or specifically GS ads.

I use IMDB a lot, and lately most times I go there I get multiple movie trailer videos opening on the top and down the side. They cover the page and on my relatively slow connection, it's a while before I can stop or close them. Makes me not want to use the site.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun
4 minutes ago, thomfre said:

I highly recommend Pi-Hole. It will "block" (it's a DNS server, that resolves all ad domains to 0.0.0.0) the ad before it gets to your browser.

They in turn track (by design) your traffic. he same can be done having an extensive hosts file.