Future Cache Machine locations

travisl

People seem to ask about future cache machines at every event I go to, and up until yesterday, I planned on hitting Portland for the winter 2003 cache machine. Someone pointed out to me yesterday that the Portland area has lots and lots and lots of caches -- moreso than Bremerton did last winter. Realistically, we don't have a lot of daylight for the winter cache machine. I think we hit 37 caches in Bremerton last winter, 65 in Yakima in the spring and 74 in Victoria in the summer (tougher terrain, too).

So, because I can't remember who I've told and who I haven't, here's my rough, unconfirmed, unchecked idea of future cache machines. Suggestions are welcome. (I can't believe I'm thinking about these more than two years in advance)

Fall 2003: Spokane

Winter 2003: Olympia

Spring 2004: Vancouver BC

Summer 2004: Portland/Vancouver WA (a 2-day event?)

Fall 2004: Tri-Cities

Winter 2004: Gig Harbor/Port Orchard

Spring or Summer 2005: Wenatchee (too many caches for spring, yet too hot for summer)

Spring or Summer 2005: Bremerton (again)

Fall 2005: Port Townsend/Port Angeles

Winter 2005: Bellingham

WWJD? JW RTFM.

quote:
Why nothing in central Oregon???

Honestly, because I'm selfish and try to plan these so my driving is as little as necessary. Spokane's actually further than I prefer, but I committed to it in Yakima, so there you go.

I've also thought about a 'Bellevue Cache Machine', or an 'Eastside Cache Machine', but most of the folks I know (true, they're local) have already hit quite a few of them.

Maybe in 2006? icon_biggrin.gif

WWJD? JW RTFM.

How about something different? With the city cache machines, usually the residents of that city have already found most or all of the caches. What I had in mind was a scenic hiway loop cache machine, which may include several different cities along the route.

For example, I drove the Cascade Loop and picked up many caches along the way, all just a short distance off the hiway, several at rest stops. I started in Wenatchee and drove Hiway 2 to Everett, then North on I-5 to Mount Vernon, then east on Hiway 20 over Washington Pass to Winthrop, then south to Chelan and back to Wenatchee. Not only found many caches, but enjoyed the drive and the awesome scenery. This could even be a 2 day event with an overnighter half way around the loop.

Another could be head south on I-5 from the Seattle area, then east on Hiway 14 along the Columbia river, then cross the river onto the Oregon side at Biggs Junction and drive back on Hiway 30 to Portland, then return to Seattle on I-5.

One other which I really want to do sometime because of the awesome scenery is drive Hiway 101 along the Oregon coast. If you're curious, look at the Oregon state cache map, and you'll find the entire coast is dotted with caches. Perhaps a cache machine could start in Portland and make a loop from there, heading west to Astoria, south on 101 along the coast, the east to I-5 and return to Portland.

You said suggestions were welcome. icon_smile.gif

Re suggestion from Navigatorz - that route is very similar to what hubby and I just got back from. We were on a driving tour down the Pacific Coast highway. I of course, forced him into some geocaching along the way. I only picked 1/1 caches because of the time constraint (hubby gave me 5-10 minutes total each cache) but I managed to hit about 30 of them. icon_smile.gif It was a gorgeous drive too. Route included Ocean Shores, Tillamook, Coos Bay, Crater Lk, Oakridge and Troutdale. I attempted, but missed the Original Cache. ( icon_mad.gif see that thread for my great adventure)

Anywho...yes, there are many caches along the coastal drive. It would be a good trip that could extend into a few days.

"You are cleared for geocaching."

I think Vancouver BC should be postponed by at least 6 additional months in order to make it a more rewarding time. The density is not overly great as of yet, and traffic flow is an issue. Certainly, there are probably decent chances of hitting 35-40 on a Spring day, but a bit more density would help.

I'm really sorry to be missing out on Spokane. Had it been on the originally planned date...

Originally posted by travisl:

I've also thought about a 'Bellevue Cache Machine', or an 'Eastside Cache Machine', but most of the folks I know (true, they're local) have already hit quite a few of them.

QUOTE]

Sounds about right; A win win for seattlites. mega cache density and cache machines in the colonies too.

I have a suggestion for the next machine: Moses Lake

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

Can't you just picture it - the George, Washington Cache Machine! We could hit George, then Royal City, then all the caches in Quincy, then cap it off with the caches in Vantage. Then dinner at Martha's Inn and finish off with a concert at the Gorge! We could rack up six, eight, maybe even 10 caches in one day.

quote:
Originally posted by Turtletrax:

Can't you just picture it - the George, Washington Cache Machine! We could hit George, then Royal City, then all the caches in Quincy, then cap it off with the caches in Vantage. Then dinner at Martha's Inn and finish off with a concert at the Gorge! We could rack up six, eight, maybe even 10 caches in one day.

icon_wink.gif

Or.......I could just get them all on my way to (and home from) Spokane for THIS cache machine icon_cool.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

I think that everyone heading to the Spokane Cache Machine should stop and hide a cache in Quincy so that Ish-n-Isha can for once post about something other than how few caches there are there! icon_biggrin.gif

http://geocachingwa.org<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea Moun10bike. I live 30 miles from Quincy. Even better, plan a Wenatchee-Quincy Cache "Hide" Machine, an all day event where about 100 geocachers from Seattle come over to our area and spend all day hiding 100 caches. That would make Ish and us very happy. Just think of the frienships that would develop and the comradery you guys would have. icon_smile.gif The Navigatorz

quote:

I think that everyone heading to the Spokane Cache Machine should stop and hide a cache in Quincy so that Ish-n-Isha can for once post about something other than how few caches there are there! icon_biggrin.gif

http://geocachingwa.org

I thought about it for a minute, after all tomorrow is a 'Vacation Day'. I could run over on my Vacation, place the cache and leave town. However I couldn't find any national parks in Quincy to put one in! icon_razz.gif

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:

Hmmm. I think the Montana contingent will pass on the scenic Quincy route to Spokane...

---

Remember what the dormouse said...

quote:

http://geocachingwa.org

Excellent Idea!

OH YEAH, There is that pesky, no caches on vacation or out of your home area thing.....

Never mind......

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Cachin's a bit sweeter when you've got an Isha!

Well the out of home area thing is easily solved. You just have Ish-n-Isha as local co-owners of all the new caches icon_wink.gif

Remember, the real concern is cache maintenance not necessarily where the owner lives...

* Remember... Only you can pervert forest faeries... *

**Namaste**

pdx33.gif

We can't wait for some of the future cache machines, especially the upcoming Vancouver cache machine in the spring. Although we've done most of the potential cache machine stops, it would be great fun to hang out w/ the gang again

If you're looking for another good place to hold a machine, how about Nanaimo BC? (49 09.000 -123 59.000) gives about 80 caches in 20km (12 mi) radius, and Nanaimo is a relatively inexpensive place to stay (as compared w/ Vancouver & Victoria)

We can't wait for some of the future cache machines, especially the upcoming Vancouver cache machine in the spring. Although we've done most of the potential cache machine stops, it would be great fun to hang out w/ the gang again

If you're looking for another good place to hold a machine, how about Nanaimo BC? (49 09.000 -123 59.000) gives about 80 caches in 20km (12 mi) radius, and Nanaimo is a relatively inexpensive place to stay (as compared w/ Vancouver & Victoria)

Haven't been there since 1983. Seemed like a nice area...we were on our way to camping in the interior of the Island. Gppd idea. That can be the next Canadian location after Vancouver.

See my profile page for a very tentative schedule of upcoming cache machine locations. I'll think about Boise and Nanaimo for sometime in 2006 :(

No, No, No . . . . the dates for Portland are all wrong!? :D There is a chance I will be out of town - out of country in fact. I won't be to bummed as out of country will have me in France, but disappointed none the less.