Any ideas what this log is telling me?

Qbar

I just received this log on a geo coin (Dragon Tails) which hasn't been seen since 2012, and which I named as missing in Jan 2018.  I know my coin hasn't surfaced,  it's not a real "find/sighting" but I'm unsure what it is telling me.  Do I need to change something somewhere, find something somewhere?  Thanks.   (Man..I'd forgotten how awesome looking that coin was!?)

"Automatically discovered on the Geocaching gallery, thanks for sharing, I like trackables a lot!"

Edited by Qbar
3 hours ago, Qbar said:

I just received this log on a geo coin (Dragon Tails) which hasn't been seen since 2012, and which I named as missing in Jan 2018.  I know my coin hasn't surfaced,  it's not a real "find/sighting" but I'm unsure what it is telling me.  Do I need to change something somewhere, find something somewhere?  Thanks.   (Man..I'd forgotten how awesome looking that coin was!?)

"Automatically discovered on the Geocaching gallery, thanks for sharing, I like trackables a lot!"

Cool!  I used to have some of those very coins!  I gave away coins, particularly unactivated "dragon" coins upon certain caching milestones.

I don't see your coin's tracking number in view online, but in theory it may be in anybody's Gallery and be "discovered".  The member that discovered yours proudly declares that it harvests numbers from the gallery. The number may be in the photo's name or description.  But you can sometimes see such a number typed in a cache log.

"The first Geocaching bot powered by Artificial Intelligence.

Currently I spend my time browsing the geocaching trackables gallery looking for travel bugs to discover."

There are software "bots" known for trying number combinations, and maybe this time it was a lucky guess.  I used to suggest contacting Geocaching.com when a "bot" is spidering around on the site, but I don't advise asking anymore.  The official reply will make you angry.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2

Agree with kunarion,  a "discover" when it's been missing for so long, sorta says it was seen in a pic or list, or maybe got a hit using a numbers generator.

Admitting that they may be using a bot right on their profile does seem odd,  and they do have many more trackables found than caches.

Because they say they're a bot,  it might be worth a mail to HQ  as a "heads-up" just in case they really are.  :)

- Sort of a "they may just be starting with trackables, then heading to other parts of the hobby" kinda thing...

If you feel it's false (a good bet...) you can delete that log.  

• Upvote 1

ok, thanks.  I did delete the log and locked the geocoin.  As it never lasted very long in the wild, I was able to check the gallery of the cachers who had found it, and none of them had a picture in their gallery.  So however they did it, it seems out of my control.

Dang...I was really excited for a few seconds when I saw there was a log.  Thought maybe it was one of those few, rare coins that was going to surface after a long absence.  Ah well

19 hours ago, Qbar said:

Dang...I was really excited for a few seconds when I saw there was a log.  Thought maybe it was one of those few, rare coins that was going to surface after a long absence.  Ah well

Yeah... 

Can't tell, the last holder might find it when cleaning out their car to buy new, or need a bag for something and it falls out... someone may stumble on it someday

I probably wouldn't have locked it over a single discover in six years, someone finally finds it but can't log it would suck too.  :)

• Upvote 1