New Maps test

two bison

1 hour ago, searcherdog said:

Got it. Barefootjeff noted it was missing on 2nd April and Monsterbox noted it was fixed by the next day. Same Release notes thread Jan 17th. Also screen capture of the relevant screen on Barefootjeff's post.

The new search layout showed up some days ago even if you were still opted in to the old map, and filter by personal cache note was (much to my relief) on that layout - until today, when the old map went away for good.

Edited by The Snowdog
1 minute ago, The Snowdog said:

The new search layout showed up some days ago even if you were still opted in to the old map, and filter by personal cache note was (much to my relief) on that layout - until yesterday, when the old map went away for good.

Ok, getting a better picture now. There's a whole bunch of stuff happening. It's looking more to me like an oversight... but I'm sure we'll find out dependent on how they respond to the request to have the Personal Note parameter back.

4 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Ok, getting a better picture now. There's a whole bunch of stuff happening. It's looking more to me like an oversight... but I'm sure we'll find out dependent on how they respond to the request to have the Personal Note parameter back.

Has this been requested by someone with a little pull at HQ?

I've dipped into the new maps only a half dozen times over the last few months to look, but that option was never there so I always reverted back to old. Do we have confirmation that this filter was ever in place on the new map?

I don't recall seeing it on the new map sidebar (but I was never specifically watching for it, so many someone else has a more certain observation).  But the fact that you saw the advanced search filter form layout update earlier than yesterday and it still had the Personal Note parameter, but it disappeared in yesterday's update - that's weird.

My biggest issue with the map is that it doesn't seem to have any sensitivity in terms of zooming in and out using my scroll wheel. If I scroll out a few clicks, the map will zoom from what seems like a 100' view to a 10,000' view (and lags...so if you scroll quickly, you'll go from looking at a county park to being on the International Space Station, looking down at Earth). 

For instance: I'm in Wisconsin, so if I zoom in as close as I can on the map, in six wheel clicks, I can zoom out enough that half of the United States now shows on the map. It's hard to fine tune your search when one or two clicks out now encompasses multiple counties instead of the city you were looking at. On the browse map, six clicks doesn't even zoom out enough to see the neighboring county, let alone another entire state. It's a pretty big difference. 

Well we've been stuck with the "new" map for a couple of days. My experience:

Can no longer filter by Personal Cache Note, which has been commented on in several other threads. Apparently it didn't work correctly for a few people, so they're taking it away from everyone.

Map does not update when panning. This does not surprise me; the old map (which updated automagically) was probably hitting the database pretty hard and I am not surprised to see this feature go away. But in exchange for this loss one would expect the new map to be faster, but it's slower than the old map. Much slower - in panning, in zooming, in selecting caches, in new searches (with "search this area").

The new map lacks detail, compared with the old map. This has been commented on in this thread, with screen shots.

In short, the new map seems to be inferior to the old map in every measurable way. So would some one remind me of what HQ promised us with the "new and improved" map experience?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

I just came here just to say that the new map is bad. Interesting that Groundspeak does not have any other forms of feedback than the discussion forums. As if they don't even want to have any feedback from majority of the geocachers... ?

- The default geocaching map background  is just worse in every aspect compared to default OpenStreetMap or OpenCycleMap. The lack of detail has already been brought up by other people but also  the color scheme is just horrendous (especially for person with vision difficultiessuch as myself). [sarcasm]Luckily they still gave us the freedom to use that map instead of forcing us to use google maps which is useless as glass hammer when geocaching in forests [/sarcasm]. I would still take the default OSM, thank you very much.

- The side panel in the new view is obnoxiously large and it would be nice if it was collapsible. I quite often tile my broswer window with other windows and its infuriating when the side panel is half of the size of the window.

- Having to click the "Search this area" repeatedly is a pain.

Luckily these things are not issues in "Browse Geocaches mode" (that still seems to use the old map), but I'm afraid that if Groundspeak decides to update that part too, then the whole browser map might become too obnoxious to use meaningfully.

• Upvote 1
On 4/28/2019 at 12:25 AM, TukeV said:

- The side panel in the new view is obnoxiously large and it would be nice if it was collapsible. I quite often tile my broswer window with other windows and its infuriating when the side panel is half of the size of the window.

It is collapsible.  Click on the arrow halfway down the right-side of the pane.  That's what I get in Firefox.  Not sure it would be different with other browsers or what browser you are using.