Resurrecting old Garmin 60c

Hi everyone,

I've only recently started looking into Geocaching properly as a way of helping keep my kids interested when out on longer walks. I used to be involved with my local Mountain Rescue team, and bought the Garmin 60c purely for quick access to OS Grid References, and that's all I needed it for at the time.

I'm slowly working out how to enter coordinates onto the unit for adding Geocaches, but I'd quite like to put some maps on it instead of just having an empty screen with an arrow and some dotted lines, but due to the age of the unit, I'm struggling to find any support for it online at all, whether through Garmin, or 3rd Party.

I just wondered whether anyone in here knows of any resources I can look into to try and get a reasonably detailed topo map which will preferably include at least Northumberland and the Lake District, to install on my card slot-less unit.

I found something on GPSFileDepot, but the only map to cover Northumberland and the Lakes is 650MB, and as far as I'm aware, that is more that the max storage on the 60c.

Can anyone advise me on what I can do, or tell me whether I'm hoping for too much of the old dog?

I appreciate anyone's help!

Cheers,

Kris

3 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

There are plenty of people here who will give you suggestions on how to get it up and running, but I'm of the opinion that a new(er) GPS is the way to go.

In addition to more storage for maps, you'll get full GPX and paperless geocaching support.

I disagree. The 60 is one of the better Garmins, even nowadays.

The only problem is the 60C has no mSD-slot (that's the Cx or CSx versions), so your device's memory is limited.

Download and install MapSource. Then install the map you like on your computer. You can send only parts of that map to your 60. Choose the parts wisely, so you can use it as long as you can. When you are going to cache outside the parts you've sent, you'll have to resend the map.

MapSource is also needed to send caches to your 60. Use the GPX file button or make a PQ, import the GPX'es into MapSource and send them to your 60.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

As fine of a GPSr the original GPSMAP 60 series units were, and they still work, the newer units from Garmin can run circles around them in features and capability.

I have a drawer (several, actually) of older Garmin GPSr, going back to the 60 series (only one I ever re-sold), and occasionally I will pull one out to try something with it for one reason or another, and I always realize immediately how much better the new units are. I personally could never go back, knowing what I do, and having experience with the newer units from Garmin.

If you can stomach it, I would highly recommend the newest GPSMAP 66 - so many outstanding features, including Geocaching Live (download geocaches directly from the device in real time), Direct to device BirdsEye satellite maps (no subscription required), Advanced weather forecasts, Use Expedition  Mode to get a week or more out of your batteries, the list just goes on and on. And with 16GB of internal memory, you can load a few maps with plenty of space to spare.

More info on the GPSMAP 66 at GPSrChive.com.

I have never been much of a button guy, have always preferred the touch screen units, but this unit has so many outstanding features I just cant put it down!

Just wanted to add: If you like fussing with your GPS more than you like finding geocaches, stick with what you have. If you want to spend more time outdoors instead of indoors, get something newer!

Edited by Atlas Cached

Sorta agree with StefandD,  installing maps needed for areas you visit most.

Unless your caching gets to the point of needing all those extra bells n whistles of the newer units, you should be fine with this one for a while. 

I'm still using a 60csx,  and load caches manually since starting.

I may pick up a 66 model sometime (it really does seem awesome), but it won't be because I'm not able to find caches with that long-discontinued model.    :)

8 hours ago, StefandD said:

The only problem is the 60C has no mSD-slot (that's the Cx or CSx versions), so your device's memory is limited.

Download and install MapSource. Then install the map you like on your computer. You can send only parts of that map to your 60. Choose the parts wisely, so you can use it as long as you can. When you are going to cache outside the parts you've sent, you'll have to resend the map.

MapSource is also needed to send caches to your 60. Use the GPX file button or make a PQ, import the GPX'es into MapSource and send them to your 60.

I disagree, and here's my analogy. Windows XP was perhaps the best windows OS made. That doesn't mean anyone should still be using it in 2016.

GPS hardware and software standards have changed and its much easier to use a 62, 64, 66, or an Oregon, or a Montana, or an etrex 20/30, or a Dakota, or even a Colorado than to use a legacy model that requires extra (and even outdated) software just to install a geocache.

9 hours ago, StefandD said:

Not the 60....  The 60Cx and Csx is when they started using a high sensitivity receiver.  The 60C was the old style receiver.  No WAAS/EGNOS, slow, low sensitivity.

Anyway.  You have 56 MB of memory, so will be quite limited in the area of maps you can have on it at once.  Use Garmin's Mapsource program from managing maps and waypoints.

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

Windows XP was perhaps the best windows OS made. That doesn't mean anyone should still be using it in 2016.

GPS hardware and software standards have changed and its much easier to use a 62, 64, 66, or an Oregon, or a Montana, or an etrex 20/30, or a Dakota, or even a Colorado than to use a legacy model that requires extra (and even outdated) software just to install a geocache.

I use a Windows XP PC to load various devices.  It would be impossible to backup and restore my Palm PDA and other things that I own that are old and otherwise work like new.  I have software on that PC that you can't even find anymore, which certainly can't run on newer Windows systems.  I don't have it set up for an Internet connection.  But there's no way I'd stop using it merely because it's been abandoned by various companies.

There is "planned obsolescence".  The devices are manufactured with features that will fail, such as cheaply made USB connectors or rubber parts that go bad over time.  Companies drop support for older systems.  But if the device still works and if there are ways to load it, keep on keeping on.  The top-of-the-line Garmin GPS that you buy today will be discontinued in a couple of years, and it's not made as well as the old one that still works 15 years later.

And a 60C and most other GPSs can be loaded manually.  I'd probably just use a printout or get the cache description some other way, and use the GPS for direction and bearing.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1