GPSMAP 64st - No geocache found

Hi everyone! ?

I have a problem with the garmin GPSMAP 64st
I load the GPX file into the internal memory and the caches appear. After restarting the device caches disappear even though the GPX file is still in the folder on the device.
This is a big problem if I'm in the field and I just have to change the batteries for a new one .. after this operation, the caches do not load again, only the "No geocache found" error pops up.

The problem also appears when I put caches on the SD card, only here I do the trick I read on this forum:

"1] Shut down the unit;

2] Remove the SD card;

3] Re-boot unit and allow it to settle in;

4] Shut the unit down again;

5] Re-insert SD card;

6] Re-boot unit."

.. and caches appear in a strange way again in the device.

One more thing I have already removed preloaded caches and it did not bring any effect :( 

I noticed that people have been struggling with this problem for a long time maybe there is a magical solution to this issue?

Yoss.. 

35 minutes ago, Jeepers-gasfree said:

My GPSMAP 64 has developed this same problem.  It's frustrating.

Any advice yet?

Explain exactly your situation?

Which GPSMAP 64 is it? What firmware level? Are the geocaches loaded to the internal memory or microSD card? What brand and size microSD card? How are you loading the geocaches to the device? etc.

Have you checked your geocache filters?

Edited by Atlas Cached

I don't use filters.

I have a GPX file loaded in my unit, but nothing shows up in the Geocaches list.  Nothing shows up on the map.

A while ago, some of the caches showed up, then they were gone.  I loaded the same GPX file on an Oregon 450t and everything seems to be there.

This has happened several times, with different GPX and GGZ formats.

I even performed a factory reset, but it still does this.

edit 12:56 pm edt - And there they are again.  But not all of the caches are there.

Edited by Jeepers-gasfree

I have a GPSMAP 66st  and it is no different. All I have to do is plug it into a USB to charge the Garmin battery pack I overpaid for and every cache (1100 of them)  disappear. Every time. That makes the unit pretty much worthless. I see they still sell them though. Thankfully I have a backup folder of my geocaches on my laptop. However that doesn't do much good when you are 100 miles from home. You would be surprised at how many people are complaining about the same issue. I have had many gps units over the years and this time I thought I would go ahead and put out the extra money for a garmin. BIG mistake.  I will be looking for a fix and will share if I find something.

29 minutes ago, Liviticus said:

I have a GPSMAP 66st  and it is no different. All I have to do is plug it into a USB to charge the Garmin battery pack I overpaid for and every cache (1100 of them)  disappear. Every time. That makes the unit pretty much worthless

Huh, I have never heard this scenario, and I have heard most of them.

Please provide much greater detail so we an try to resolve the issue. 

How are the caches loaded to the GPSr?

What is the source for the geocaches?

Are they edited before loading?

Where exactly do they disappear from on the GPSr? The list? The map? The folder/file filter list?

What is the state of th he GPSr when you connect USB to charge?

What is charging it?

Which cable are you using?

What does the GPSr do when you connect it?

Does it display charging animation?

What steps are taken when you disconnect the device?

What exact steps exactly are taken to discover your geocaches are now missing?

17 hours ago, Liviticus said:

I have a GPSMAP 66st  and it is no different. All I have to do is plug it into a USB to charge the Garmin battery pack I overpaid for and every cache (1100 of them)  disappear. Every time. That makes the unit pretty much worthless. I see they still sell them though. Thankfully I have a backup folder of my geocaches on my laptop. However that doesn't do much good when you are 100 miles from home. You would be surprised at how many people are complaining about the same issue. I have had many gps units over the years and this time I thought I would go ahead and put out the extra money for a garmin. BIG mistake.  I will be looking for a fix and will share if I find something.

I've had a Garmin 12, Rino 110, GPSMAP 60csx, 62s, 64s and now the 66s and have never had this problem.  The only time I lost data was many years ago when the 12 overheated in the sun.  So I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with all Garmin units, but sounds like something with your unit.  Have you tried talking to Garmin about it (though if they monitor these forums, they might not be happy with you and your comments about them)?

18 hours ago, Liviticus said:

Isn't one thread enough?

On 5/22/2020 at 6:01 PM, Jeepers-gasfree said:

My GPSMAP 64 has developed this same problem.  It's frustrating.

Any advice yet?

Hey
I noticed what the problem is. (in my case)
I have a Windows PC and Garmin and WIN don't always do well.
I noticed that if I disconnect the Garmin without "safely disconnect the device from the computer" then this problem always happens.
I always have to do a "hard restart" of my garmin after that.
If I do not forget about it, there is no problem ..
This was the solution for me.
I didn't know that the equipment that can be all covered in mud in everyday use inside is so delicate. ;-)
I hope that I helped you somehow =)

Edited by yossarian1981
7 hours ago, robertlipe said:

Windows actually made some changes recently (in Windows years) to have fewer dirty blocks waiting to be flushed to the USB in case of an abrupt removal.
See, e.g. https://www.howtogeek.com/410353/how-to-optimize-usb-storage-for-better-performance-on-windows-10/

Chuckle --- that's the rumor, yes <g>. 

My Oregon 450 was the biggest bugger in that regard.  It's become a matter of habit to eject/disconnect it (and any other USB storage device to which I've written anything) logically before yanking it physically, even in these days of Win10.  On prior Windows OS, had too many instances of getting to the garage for a cache run, only to discover that I couldn't find any caches on the device!