The Contact Cache

fractal

For those of you not on the watch-list for my Contact cache, and for those of you who are interested, I just posted this message to the cache page:

quote:

I read Hilander's log about the no trespassing signs being posted soon, and after some serious thought, I will be removing the cache sometime this coming week. I would really like to place it somewhere else and keep it active, but due to the size of the container, this may not be possible.

This was my first 'big cache'. I have others in the works, but I don't think they could ever top Contact.

I really appreciate everyone's comments. I've recieved numerous emails, both locally and from around the world, about how great this cache is, and how it has inspired others. No words can describe how you all have made me feel...

I hope, that in doing this cache, that people have learned about a cool movie, secret codes in everyday files, thinking in multiple dimensions, and how to 'feed your head'.

After I retrieve the cache, I will post detailed instructions on the puzzle. Both how I came up with it, and how to solve it.

For those of you who haven't found it yet, you have about 2 or 3 days left icon_wink.gif

If I could ask one thing from all of you, it would be to join me and others in working on the SETI@Home project. It's a screensaver that processes data from a radio telescope that's looking for signals from other worlds. For more information, and to download the software, go to http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/ . After you get the software installed, please join the Geocaching group at http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_127358.html .

Again.. Thank you all for your comments. It is my pleasure creating something that so many people have enjoyed...

Untill the next one...

Many thanks to those that helped clean up the area. And many thanks to those of you who enjoyed it icon_smile.gif

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish

fractal, if you just want to move the cache then i have a couple places in mind for it. unfortunately, they are all about 40 miles south of portland.

i'd hate to see the world's most famous cache be archived forever--especially since i'm perpetually just two steps from solving the puzzle.

i have three places for future caches, and one of them is actually cool (and difficult). you can have your pick of the litter if you want them.

all rights reserved, all wrongs reversed

Thanks Oregone... When I remove the container, I'll just do the temp. archive and make the final final decision after that. I'm expecting to pick up the container on Wednesday night, after the Helvetia get-together. If anyone would like to come help carry that thing out, I'd appreciate it... If you only knew how fun it was trying to get it in there icon_biggrin.gif

-fractal

I responded to this on the General forum, so I won't repeat what I typed here (*sniff*)...

But didn't you already LOG Contact, oregone?

I'd love to see it placed somewhere else. I hope it can be done. I just don't want it to go away. It has brought so many cool people together...

Oh no... I'm going to cry again...

----------

Lori aka: RedwoodRed

KF6VFI

"I don't get lost, I investigate alternative destinations."

GeoGadgets Team Website

Comics, Video Games and Movie Fansite

"Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not. For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is." - Yoda, Jedi Master from Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Well we dont want to see the cache disappear either. Way too much work, effort and fun has gone into it. How about bringing it to Champoeg and we can have a Contact cache story telling. We can all brainstorm the possibilities for a new home? We could even bring our 'stuff' we used to solve the darn puzzle and share 'solution kits' with others?! Maybe we sould make some 'I solved the Contact Cache' t-shirts! or bumper stickers.

A tough call. It would Really be a shame if TCC had to be archived. Moving it would be a double trick--first the box then changing the coordinates from the puzzle. I suppose you could just include a math element, like 'subtract xxx from the lat and add zzz to the lon.' I don't know, fractal. May the force be with you. Oops, wrong movie. (Funny, while Carl Sagan believed in the likelihood of aliens, he wasn't much into a Force. Don't tell Yoda. But I digress.)

Seth!

We'd love to help you find a new home for TCC. Just read the details screen and some of the logs for this cache and agree that this one needs to be preserved if at all possible.

We'll be down at Champoeg this weekend hopefully the group can come up with a solution.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??