Recoding Problems

fi67

A always thought that also has an upside that Waymarking.com is so neglected: if they they don't touch anything, they don't break anything. I was wrong.

I just happened to notice that some things changed in the way the waymark text content is rendered to the page. I have no idea when this was done, but not more than a year ago.

One of the new bugs is hard to detect, but it affects almost anyone: line breaks inside multi-line text box variables are removed for display. They are still there in edit mode. This means that all this content is displayed as flow text. This is a problem for structured data like opening hours, but also addresses look wrong.

The other one is worse for me, but I do not know if anyone else has ever used that feature. Until a year ago you could display non-western European characters in titles by using their numeric HTML entities. Now they are recoded. This looks really bad. Here two examples.

That's how it looked until a while ago.

pagemitgr.jpg.4666eaf0826562a94c7636f212642c1c.jpg

That's how it looks now:

pageohnegr.jpg.6e2d542c1c8bc5379209852f3e3adc35.jpg

Please bring the old behavior back! These two changes are not good for anything.

And don't tell me any security tech babble! We all know that it is not true. Characters don't hurt anyone.

Edited by fi67
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1
On 10/30/2018 at 10:55 AM, fi67 said:

One of the new bugs is hard to detect, but it affects almost anyone: line breaks inside multi-line text box variables are removed for display. They are still there in edit mode. This means that all this content is displayed as flow text. This is a problem for structured data like opening hours, but also addresses look wrong.

Yeah, that has been a thorn in my side, too, causing me to manually type in a lot of <br>s. Worse, I have over 500 Lucky 7s. Each line in the  Lucky 7 Waymarks text field now needs a <br>. I've been fixing them as I come across them, but I probably have 450 to do yet.

In terms of appearance the second problem, that of non standard characters, is even worse. WAYFROGGIE - HELP!!!

Keith

• Upvote 1