Message center generates mail with wrong subject/content

Funky_Boris

I have come across a peculiar bug. When I click the "Message this owner" link on top of a cache description, I get redirected to the message center (which is what to expect) and a new conversation with that user us commenced with a prefix "Regarding <GCcode>: <Title> – ". When I then use it to send a message, I get a mail saying that I got a new message from myself:

"Geocaching: Funky_Boris, you have a new message from Funky_Boris!"

The message body then starts with "Funky_Boris has sent you a new message." followed by my message. Underneath there is more:

"Visit the Message Centre to view and reply to this message.

View Funky_Boris’s profile"

I have not gotten any replies from any of the messages sent in this manner which prompts the question of whether the messages have even been delivered. When I open the message centre they seem attached to the correct conversation with the intended recipient. I certainly get a reminder that I have sent a message to myself.

Perhaps someone from Geocaching HQ should see if they can reproduce the bug and fix it if that is the case?

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Funky_Boris said:

I have come across a peculiar bug. When I click the "Message this owner" link on top of a cache description, I get redirected to the message center (which is what to expect) and a new conversation with that user us commenced with a prefix "Regarding <GCcode>: <Title> – ". When I then use it to send a message, I get a mail saying that I got a new message from myself:

"Geocaching: Funky_Boris, you have a new message from Funky_Boris!"

The message body then starts with "Funky_Boris has sent you a new message." followed by my message. Underneath there is more:

"Visit the Message Centre to view and reply to this message.

View Funky_Boris’s profile"

I have not gotten any replies from any of the messages sent in this manner which prompts the question of whether the messages have even been delivered. When I open the message centre they seem attached to the correct conversation with the intended recipient. I certainly get a reminder that I have sent a message to myself.

Perhaps someone from Geocaching HQ should see if they can reproduce the bug and fix it if that is the case?

You can try sending me a message. :-)

@Funky_Boris - Thank you for bring this up because it could be more clear. The email that you are receiving is a copy of your own message. This happens if you have selected the option in Message Center to "forward messages to email" (see attached). When that feature was added we re-used the existing email template which is causing your username to be added twice because you are both the sender and the receiver of the email.

"Geocaching: {receiving_username}, you have a new message from {sending_username}!"

MessageCenter.png

• Helpful 1