Geocache Filenames

I have a Garmin GPS.  When I download cache GPX files to go out to hunt the caches, it is now a 3 step process to get the files to my Garmin device:

1   Download the file to my computer

2   Change the file extension from .gpx (i.e. lowercase) to .GPX (i.e. uppercase) -> Garmin devices cannot find files with lowercase extensions

3  Download the files to the Garmin device

How can I bypass step 2 in this process

Windows Pro, Firefox 61.0.1 Garmin Oregon 450

1) I don't see  uppercase file extension on gpx files downloaded  Geocaching.com.

2)  I did just manually change a fresh download  from .gpx to .GPX and it loaded to my Garmin

If I were wanting to change the way my browser & operating system handled downloads, I'd get into settings on my browser and/or OS and see what I could do there. I agree with Hans, upper lower case is a non-issue.

I'd skip both steps 1 and 2. As   Hans suggests,  first, connect your gps to your computer, then download from Geocaching.com directly to the device drive. (drive name something -> Garmin-> gpx)

My system tells me I'm going to open GCXXXX, and asks what to use to open it. I tell it, Garmin Oregon SD (K) drive  - Garmin - GPX

1 hour ago, HHL said:

Download directly to your Garmin unit's GPX folder. Btw: Your assumption on upper/lower case issues is wrong.

Hans

+1

I checked the files on my Garmin Oregon (in Windows 10).   Lists via "Send To Garmin" seem to be sent in uppercase.  Other files have lowercase extensions.  The Garmin reads either without issue.

GPS_Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by kunarion