Etrex 20 Data Fields

31BMSG

My Montana gets a bit cumbersome when bushwhacking for any distance so I thought I would break out my Etrex 20. On the Montana I have the pointer dashboard disabled to avoid wandering like a drunken pirate and use 4 data fields instead, cache code, distance to destination, location, and location of destination. I have the Etrex set up the same with the exception of location of destination, which I can't seem to find. Before I spend too much time on this can anyone verify the Etrex 20 does not support this data field? If anyone has successfully used this field on an Etrex 20 could I get a hint of what it's named? Thanks!

Humor the old man OK? :P I realize the pointer makes things easier but there are times I purposely make things more challenging just to keep the brain cells active. I've used the GPSr satellite screen and the cache coordinates written in my pocket notebook to log 90% of my finds, calculating the bearing as I go. The Montana works good for this as both coordinates are on the screen, it prevents transposing numbers into my notebook which has happened. Navigating to the cache is my priority, signing the log is just a bonus. 

That said, my next challenge is to log a find with a sextant. I've already ordered an inexpensive practice model but I PROMISE I won't ask any sextant questions here :D Thanks all!

35 minutes ago, 31BMSG said:

Humor the old man OK? :P I realize the pointer makes things easier but there are times I purposely make things more challenging just to keep the brain cells active. I've used the GPSr satellite screen and the cache coordinates written in my pocket notebook to log 90% of my finds, calculating the bearing as I go. The Montana works good for this as both coordinates are on the screen, it prevents transposing numbers into my notebook which has happened. Navigating to the cache is my priority, signing the log is just a bonus. 

That said, my next challenge is to log a find with a sextant. I've already ordered an inexpensive practice model but I PROMISE I won't ask any sextant questions here :D Thanks all!

Actually, I would be very interested in hearing about your 'sextant' adventures!  Sounds like fun to me!

• Upvote 1