Why do people "steal" geocoins or not move them on?

AU96Alum

I have had several geocoins go out...and all is lost or stolen.  It seems funny though that when they go "missing", it is always here in the United States.  Anytime that it makes it overseas to Europe and such, it never gets lost....but they always go missing here in the US. What is up with that?  If you are not going to move it on, don't take it!!!

Some people steal them for collections, even though marked not collectable. When the TB has not been seen for awhile, but then you get a log saying, " Discovered it at international cache day in ..." you know it has almost certainly been stolen and hoarded. Good luck with ever hearing from it again, except maybe an occasionally, " Discovered it at..."

29 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

My one TB to arrive in the US was supposedly placed in a cache, but then never heard from again. Arrived, placed in cache, gone. I have TBs wandering about Europe quite successfully. After your comment it reminded me of my missing TB in the US. Likely a coincidence.

Possibly not a coincidence. Out of 41 trackables I have 14 still accounted for, of those 14 the only ones making any kind of real movement are in Europe and Canada. 

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:06 AM, AU96Alum said:

I have had several geocoins go out...and all is lost or stolen.  It seems funny though that when they go "missing", it is always here in the United States.  Anytime that it makes it overseas to Europe and such, it never gets lost....but they always go missing here in the US. What is up with that?  

Odd that the dozen or so geocoins the other 2/3rds lost were almost split, "missing" between the US and Europe...