Help Me Get Started Again!

Winston'sCrew

Hi! I haven't been Geocaching for a few years. Now that my kids are a little older I want to share the experience with them.

I have a Garmin Montana 650t gps

I figured out how to download a GPX file and use Basecamp to send it to my GPS device (yay!). But that was a lot of steps. I loved the "send to GPS" feature. I read that it no longer works and was taken off the site. Ok. I saw on the HELP page, premium members have "Send to Garmin" via Garmin Express (which I also downloaded today). 

1) If I were to renew my Premium membership, would I be able to send the caches to my Montana gps via the "Send to Garmin" button? Does it work like the "send to GPS" button did a few years ago?

2) Or, is there an easier way for me to get the GPX files onto my device that I am missing? I tried to just drop it into the Garmin folder but my GPS didn't see it.

Thank for helping me get started again. I am excited to share this experience with my children!

If you are a Premium Member, you can use Pocket Queries.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but this old lady learned how and I bet you can too.  I use a Montana 600 and I would be happy to help you get started.  Send me an email or Message through my Profile if you want to contact me.  

24 minutes ago, icezebra11 said:

Drop the file into the Garmin/GPX folder and you should be good to go.

icezebra11 I tried that. I put it into a folder with other GPX files that were transferred to the GPS years ago the last time I geocached. It didn't show up on the GPS. But when I added it via the Basecamp software, it showed up on the GPS.

39 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

If you are a Premium Member, you can use Pocket Queries.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but this old lady learned how and I bet you can too.  I use a Montana 600 and I would be happy to help you get started.  Send me an email or Message through my Profile if you want to contact me.  

NanCycle thank you. We will search for our first cache together on our Thanksgiving camping trip. If the kids enjoy it half as much as I do, I will probably renew my premium membership and check out the pocket queries. I may send you a message for help! Thanks again!

16 hours ago, Winston'sCrew said:

1) If I were to renew my Premium membership, would I be able to send the caches to my Montana gps via the "Send to Garmin" button? Does it work like the "send to GPS" button did a few years ago?

2) Or, is there an easier way for me to get the GPX files onto my device that I am missing? I tried to just drop it into the Garmin folder but my GPS didn't see it.

"Send To Garmin" works with lists.  It is not currently a way to place one GPX file from a cache page.  You'd instead save a whole area from search results, or save individually chosen caches to a List.  Send To Garmin then will send the List.

As NanCycle mentioned, you can also try Pocket Queries.  Save an area of sets of up to 1000 caches all at once, "run" the pocket query on a schedule, and you can place those sets of up-to-date caches onto your Garmin.  I use a combination of Lists and Pocket Queries.  Lists on my phone with just the caches I hope to hunt, and the pocket queries on my Garmin to show all the caches in the area. 

Edited by kunarion