Favorite points not given

shaggs31

First of all I'm new at being a CO of a cache that is being awarded favorite points. 

I just hid three gadget caches in my area. They are stacking up with favorite points quick. There have been a few cachers though that will say in their find log that they are giving this cache a favorite point. But for whatever reason a favorite point does not show up from them. Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? What is the protocol  here?

I don't want to be the kind of CO that begs for favorite points. But if a cacher thinks he has favorited but actually has not then would it be good to let him know?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

There have been bugs where the system hasn't awarded FP even when the user has checked the correct boxes. That could be what has happened. If you point out that you don't see their FP on your cache, then you could also point out the Bug Reports and Feature Discussions forums where they can report a bug with the web site or with one of Groundspeak's apps, depending on how they think they awarded your cache a FP.

If they said they'd award a favourite point, I don't see why it would be taboo to shoot them a friendly message; I'd say it's great to hear they a good time with the cache, and I notieced they'd offer a point but perhaps they forgot; and if they feel it's worth it maybe double check.

Never demand. And though taking initiative to ask could be taboo to some, if they've already offered, then just follow up in a friendly manner :) No harm in that (unless you find a really irritable cacher!)

• Helpful 1

I can't help with the protocol thing about whether or not to "remind" someone that they didn't give you a favorite point but from my experience and something I have done myself, they may just be waiting until they get home? I don't always write up a full log or add a favorite point until I get home and can sit down and go through the caches for the day. If I'm trying to do a bunch of caches at a time I just log a found it and maybe add something about a FP and then when I get the chance after I get home I go back and edit the logs and add the favorite point. 

• Upvote 2
6 minutes ago, SaRothe said:

I can't help with the protocol thing about whether or not to "remind" someone that they didn't give you a favorite point but from my experience and something I have done myself, they may just be waiting until they get home? I don't always write up a full log or add a favorite point until I get home and can sit down and go through the caches for the day. If I'm trying to do a bunch of caches at a time I just log a found it and maybe add something about a FP and then when I get the chance after I get home I go back and edit the logs and add the favorite point. 

Yes that is a good point. One of the two in question may be like this. But the other one the find log is a week old. I have seen a few like that where the fav point shows up later in the day or the next day. Thanks for the thoughts I will send a friendly message to the finder.

We seen hundreds of "This is worth a favorite !" logs, and I'd bet less than half ever see one.

Those with few to spare, and eight caches later find one better ... it's a choice.     :)

I sometimes go basic (for a few reasons).

When I write "a favorite" on a cache, that tells me that when/if I go PM again, I'm giving that cache a FP.

Most we know aren't too confused why they haven't given another a FP.

- It may well be they liked it enough to call it a "favorite", but maybe not worthy of actually placing one.

I never would if I had someone mail me why they haven't received one yet.   

We've seen  "friendly messages" from strangers asking about the friends list, so that mail means nada to me.   ;)

Enough mails, and senders names start getting passed at events. 

I tend to find that "travel delays" happen more on the posting of Find logs, or sending in of answers where necessary.  FPs are part of the logging process, and more likely than not if they didn't award it when logging the find, they probably forget. Probably. *shrug* Maybe someone does go over recent finds and manually awards favourites rather than with their loggin...

But yeah I think it's good to give a day or two grace period for any kind of log followup... heck some people don't post their FTFs for a couple of days (when they're near home) for some reason. :P

33 minutes ago, shaggs31 said:

There have been a few cachers though that will say in their find log that they are giving this cache a favorite point. But for whatever reason a favorite point does not show up from them. Has anyone else seen this sort of thing?

This happens quite often. It is so easy to forget to click the heart. When I give a favorite I do not mention it in my log but most players does.

• Upvote 1
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:37 PM, SaRothe said:

Adding to this I've been in a position of being all out of favorite points so I'll let the cache owner know I intend on awarding a favorite point as soon as ones available.   

On 11/1/2018 at 8:13 AM, SaRothe said:
On 10/23/2018 at 1:01 PM, Lynx Humble said:

With the official app the FP is awarded by cliking on the heart while logging.

That heart never works for me. I can use it when I log but I always have to use the actual website to add a favorite point. 

I log drafts while out caching, a few quick notes about the find, tick the heart or add a photo as well while in the field.  Then when I get home, or back to an internet connection and my laptop as was the case when we were traveling a couple weeks ago, my drafts have all the info to create a proper log.  I do seem to remember thinking I had ticked the heart or added a photo that didn't show up on the draft - but most of the time that does work for me.

As far as keeping track of who said they would and who actually did give FP's - I rarely check to see who awarded them, or try to match them up with logs.  I'm just happy they are accumulating!

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, CAVinoGal said:

As far as keeping track of who said they would and who actually did give FP's - I rarely check to see who awarded them, or try to match them up with logs.  I'm just happy they are accumulating!

+1

I stopped double-checking due to "Gets A Fav!" logs not actually equaling the occurrence of said Favorite Point.  Maybe it was their Bot which types that same log every time.  Just glad someone really likes the cache.  ...Maybe they really liked it...  They didn't give it a Favorite point...

I spend Favorites when I notice I have some.  I look through the list of Finds and click my favorites, from most favorite to least, until out of points to give.