Visual Discrimination issues (not eye sight)

AnwenCelia

Hi, I have been geocatching for about a year on and off, but I am extremely bad at it.  And that`s okay, but I wanted to know if anybody could give any hints for my situation?  It would be appreciated.  I have a severe neurological problem with visual perception.  For example, I can`t drive,  use escalators, mix up faces of people I know, get lost in my own town, etc.  Grocery shopping is a real struggle because I have  a hard time remembering where things are  I always buy  in the store.  I have never been able to do puzzles or those `guess what`s missing` games. 

I say all that to say that geocatching is extremely hard for me.  I had neurological testing done, and my visual discrimination/ memory/ skills were in the lowest percentile on the scale used.  I have a helper who goes out with me up to nine hours  a month to run errands.  I can do shopping alone, but it takes a very long time to process what I am seeing. 

She has taken me geocatching several times, and those are the times that I have found a cache.  We always pick the bigger ones that are rated as 1.  She has gotten into the game and reads all of the comments with me and then we go searching together.

But she can`t go with me very often, and I would like to do geocatching myself sometimes. The thing is, I can look for several hours on multiple trips for an easy (level one) catch, and then still not be able to `see`it. 

What I am wondering is, after I have made a reasonable effort looking for a cache, (a couple hours, multiple trips), is it ethical to ask the person who hid it for more information?  I don`t want to cheat at the game, but I never can find one searching alone...

Any advice would be appreciated!  Thank you!

17 minutes ago, AnwenCelia said:

What I am wondering is, after I have made a reasonable effort looking for a cache, (a couple hours, multiple trips), is it ethical to ask the person who hid it for more information?  I don`t want to cheat at the game, but I never can find one searching alone...

There’s certainly nothing unethical about asking for help.  And I’m sure that most COs will be happy to help if you explain your situation.

For whatever reason, some COs may not be responsive.  In that case, previous finders may be willing to give you a nudge.

As you find more, I’m sure you will find it easier, particularly if you stick to those lower difficulty caches.

Good luck.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 2

At an event you may find someone who appreciates the company.   We know of a few who don't like to geocache by themselves.    :)

I'd say most Cache Owners want folks to find them, and willing to help.

Staying within your comfort range  of larger caches, 1.5 or less in difficulty and terrain helps too (you've only found two rated 1 in difficulty).

Some photos show "small" containers that (to me) look a little undersized ,  so maybe stick with "regular" by yourself.

Good luck.

• Helpful 1
On 10/23/2018 at 7:25 PM, IceColdUK said:

There’s certainly nothing unethical about asking for help.  And I’m sure that most COs will be happy to help if you explain your situation.

Thank you for this comment.  I guess I was afraid that if I asked for help too much, COs would think I was just being lazy.  But your response made me feel better!  Thank you!

23 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

Hi AnwenCelia,

first of all, welcome to the game.

Not sure where you live but have you considered going to a meet and greet Event to meet other geocachers, have a Chat about geocaching and your Problem and see if you could team up with someone to go out together Caching.

Thank you for the welcome! I live in Yokohama, Japan.  Meeting local geocachers could definitely be a great way to network.  I keep hoping that while I am out someone will stop and ask if I am geocaching.  '-'

17 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

(you've only found two rated 1 in difficulty).

I had to laugh at your innocent comment, because the ones that `I`have found were with sending multiple emails back and forth asking for clarification on different points from the CO.  One guy realized that I was having trouble, and on my third trip to his cache, he sent me a photo showing exactly where it was hidden.  I just felt bad asking for advice and hints every time, which is why I posted on this forum.  But the guy who sent the picture did so after I had searched by myself for at least five hours or so, and he sent the photo on the third trip.  I just don`t want to annoy people with asking too many questions about their cache.  But, if I really want to find these caches, I have to either bring help or keep asking questions.  Anyway, thank you.  You were helpful!

15 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

My favorite person to geocache with is 100% reliant on assistance. His assistant's vision is declining. He has no problem asking for help if needed. I think it is completely appropriate to ask for helpful information from the CO.  Have fun!

Ah, that`s such an encouragement!  Thank you! 

5 minutes ago, speakers-corner said:

A lot of People know what geocaching is but they are a bit shy to ask about it. When I am out I hope to meet Cachers and if they are doing the same round I am doing I ask them to join me, many have said yes, a few no.

Yeah, it is not as well known here in Japan...but that could change!

On 10/24/2018 at 7:53 AM, Goldenwattle said:

This is one reason that nanos, by their nature, should rarely be rated as less than two stars difficulty.

I think they are usually easy to find.  97.3 percent of the time they are on the street sign.  The rest of the time they are on the fire hydrant or under the park bench.

Edited by briansnat
  • Upvote 1
4 hours ago, briansnat said:

I think they are usually easy to find.  97.3 percent of the time they are on the street sign.  The rest of the time they are on the fire hydrant or under the park bench.

Or likely hidden in the inners of  machinery. My experience is they are often hard. This might vary depending where you live. I am about to tackle a nano - again, in machinery, but at least that one is marked correctly - four star difficulty.

But even on a street sign they can be hard. Hidden in one of multiple slots on the back for instance. Even a bison tube in that slot can be tricky sometimes. Made harder when a tall person hides it above where much of the population can see it.

Edited by Goldenwattle
  • Upvote 1

AnwenCelia, I think that most cache owners are glad to help if you ask.

I have an idea that might make searching easier when you are on your own. Maybe when you find a cache, write down how it was hidden. Then the next time you look, you will have a list of places to check, depending on the things nearby.