Logging you own caches???

kiltsurfer

I have only been caching for 4-5 months now, and forgive me if this is a know subject. But do/should people log their own caches? I have seen this done before, but it just compute? On one hand you do have a cache right in your backyard that you want to claim, but on the other hand, you know right was it is at, so how can it be a hunt? I’m not trying to rack up my numbers or anything like that, but what is commonly done about this.

Kiltsurfer with a newbie question…

Generally no.

It depends on how the new stats site (when and if) will divy up finds.

The old site used to read a cache page and if the cache was by two people, nobody got credit for it and that penalized you by -1 on your stats when you would have gotten a +1 for the hide if it was just you who was listed.

Clear as mud?

Also if you transfer a cache to a new owner it may open the door to a "find"

I logged my cache once.

I hid 'Badlands P.O.', a traveling cache in the Badlands, east of Bend in the desert. My rules were that anyone could have a find anytime they found it in a place they had never been before. They would then rehide somewhere new. They could log as many finds as they wished. I found my own traveling cache once and did not hesitate to log it. I don't have the courage to multi log, but that's OK. I'll just have to look for another excuse to hike in the Badlands.

Still there.... Go check it out.

"At this place we had wintered...and lived as well as we had any right to expect"

-William Clark-

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

The old site used to read a cache page and if the cache was by two people, nobody got credit for it and that penalized you by -1 on your stats when you would have gotten a +1 for the hide if it was just you who was listed.

I don't know what site you're talking about, but Dan Miller's site did not do that. Dan's ignored the names on the byline on the cache page and instead took the name on the account showed as owning the cache.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Boojum:

Of course you can log your own cache...

if it is an event cache!

icon_cool.gif

I was actually going to say that! We logged a find on an event cache we set up a while back. Talked w/ a bunch of people & it seemed to be generally accepted. As for physical caches, the only reason for claiming a find would be to "cook the books" or add one more smiley face.

I guess it just goes to show... you can't have your cache, and find it too.

"And then Trogdor smote the Kerrek, and all was laid to burnination."

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I don't know what site you're talking about, but Dan Miller's site did not do that. Dan's ignored the names on the byline on the cache page and instead took the name on the account showed as owning the cache.

http://geocachingwa.org

Strange. That wasn't my experience but since I got out of the Joint cache biz until only recently I never had any reason to look further into it once I had the wrong idea. Now you have me curiouse to figure it out but...

quote:
Originally posted by Boojum:

Of course you can log your own cache...

if it is an event cache!

Really? I dont know why I havent logged many of my own event caches... Hmm.. I think I might have to make some changes. icon_smile.gif

What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Anyone can roast beef.

Thanks everyone, that is what we Phatboyz were thinking and saying. It's just weird when you see a cache that the cache owner logged it as a find before anyone else. And thanks for letting us know about logging an event cache, we didn't know that. You are all invited to the Phatboyz Event cache if you can make it. It's this Sunday the 14th of Sept. Check tomorrow for more details. THANKS

I never log my own caches. But I do have some caches where other cachers have helped in the placement of. They logged it as a find since they didn't get credit for hiding it. I think there should be a way for multiple cachers to get credit for helping in the placement of a cache without having to log it as a find. It doesn't seem fair for only the person that submitted the cache to get credit for it.

I keep my own account so this doesn't pertain to me but wondering what everyone else thinks. How about when one member of a team hides a cache and another member finds it? By team I mean a group that shares a geocaching account.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with posting a note to your own cache since it doesn't count as a find.

As a helper in hiding a cache the only way to get the cache to not show up in your filtered lists is to have it listed as found (I think). So, for cleanliness of searching it makes sense to claim a find since you are not the owner. Of course, these arguments may only be valid for supporting member$ of the site.

re: Shychief - you answered your own question the best way possible [icon_smile.gif]

Logging finds on your own event cache seems completely valid. A find is really a declaration of participation - which the organizer certainly did! Some folks maintain a policy of posting notes-only on event caches whether they are the organizer or not. This wouldn't generally pollute your search page for long since they get archived fairly quickly after the event. Personal choice.

quote:
Originally posted by Kiltsurfer of Team Phatboyz:

...do/should people log their own caches?

A good question that I wish more people would think about. As you can see from the comments the answer is a qualified "no." It makes sense that you shouldn't log caches you hide (or help hide) because you know where they are. No challenge there! Yet, people do it with some regularity. Sometimes it is just a mistake when they click the "Found it!" instead of "Post a note" button. Other times they were part of a team and were overcome with the fun of being "first finder" and forgot that they had an unfair advantage.

There are category types that might seem Ok for the owner to log: events, traveling caches, locationless caches, and travel bugs come to mind. I can see logging an event because it's a one-time thing that many people may have helped put together. But a good rule of thumb is to avoid logging a find on any other item that has your name on it. Even a traveling cache is stretching the limits. We create a cache for others to find so logging it ourselves, even when we had to find it, is missing the point and may be depriving someone else of the opportunity.

Another situation arises when someone beta tests a cache as a favor to the owner. Testing is a good idea for complicated hunts where the owner may overlook a problem that could really frustrate people. However, the tester should not log the cache as a find for a couple of reasons. Usually the cache has not been submitted and approved yet so any log is premature. In cases where the cache is approved but a tester is given a heads up to the cache before anyone else, it is not fair to others who try to be first finder. It can be disappointing to see a new cache posted with a find already logged or, even worse, rush to find it and discover that the log book is already signed by someone with prior knowledge of it.

BTW, do you want to form a team? I'll put out a cache every 0.1-mile along a 10-mile stretch of road and let you sign it first. Then we can switch. Who needs to go to (ugh) Spokane for a cache machine? icon_wink.gif

I have seen many event caches logged by the person putting the event on. I have also seen regular caches logged by the hider when he went back to check on his cache. One user I know logged his own cache 3 seperate times.

I haven't done that but I honestly don't care what others do in regards to logging caches. It isn't a competition. It's just fun. If you have fun logging your own go do it.

Now while I haven't logged my own I have had trouble locating my own cache in the past. I got to ground zero and spent at least 15 minutes looking for it. Now that one I was really tempted to log icon_smile.gif

Team caching makes it tough to straighten out finds. We have 5 accounts in the Heroes and we've developed a system whereby a quorum is necessary to log a team find. We require 3 of the 5 accounts to represent the Heroes. It makes it a real challenge. In some instances members of the team have found a team cache they weren't part of hiding or the Team has found a cache placed by one of the members not present. It's all good as long as folks use common sense and just have fun. I used to get all uptight when people logged their own, or when they double log, but now that the stat page is down there's no need to care, really.

illDRIVE

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

Never heard of getting a "find" on your own cache event, but maybe you should be able to...any other opinions on finding your own cache event?

One option, to allow everyone to claim a find on an event cache without somoen 'doubling up' with both a find and a hide, is to create an account just for sponsoring the gatherings. We have that in Missoula for MOOG events.

On the other hand, when I made my wedding an event cache (we had caching activities outside the actual ceremony period), I didn't claim a find, though my blushing bride did. I figured I was getting credit for creating the event.

Ron/yumitori

---

Remember what the dormouse said...