A really World Flashmob

hello world

i have an idea. i would like create a world flashmob event at the next flashmob day. not especiallity. but..here my idea. iam looking other geocachers arround the world in different timezone`s. in every timezone one or more flashmob events. AT THE SAME TIME.

example: germany 5pm, london 4pm, new york 11am. what are you thinking about? stupid or brilliant?

sorry for my english. :(

32 minutes ago, Schmunzelhaase said:

iam looking other geocachers arround the world in different timezone`s. in every timezone one or more flashmob events. AT THE SAME TIME.

example: germany 5pm, london 4pm, new york 11am.

Sort of agree with Touchstone, thinking about trying to get times agreed to by countries ...

The largest city in my state has had enough problems with non-geocaching flash mobs the last three years, and evening hours (I feel) aren't a bright idea.

Just the name sets the police commission off.       May be similar issues in other states, and all having to agree on a time.

- Even podcacher says " on the same day at (mostly) the same time"...

Unlike Germany and the UK, , you do realize that some countries have multiple  times zones, right?   :)

4 hours ago, Touchstone said:

No problem with the English.  Better than my German I'm sure.   My first thought is that the idea, as you've presented it, is a bit unfair to Australia.  I think they deserve the 5 pm slot, so the German FM can be held at 3 am ;)

If you want everyone to have a flash mob on the same date, it's more complicated than you thought...   If the German flash mob is at 3 AM on, for instance, Saturday, then in America it will still be Friday.  That pesky International Date Line is going to mess things up.  Also, there are actually 38 time zones (UTC +14 to UTC -12, including fractional zones),and the range of 26 hours means that there isn't a time when all the world is on the same date.  

You'd have to choose how much of the world you want to cover, then assign times based on that.  

Or, I guess you could say " At 12 noon local time in each time zone"  but that is an artificial simultaneity.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I thought that Flash Mob Events have not been permitted since 2014?  An event must last a minimum of thirty minutes.   

We still have the occasional flash mob in my area, a few are related to the WWFM's mentioned above.  No restrictions on the activity per se, as long as the start to finish time adds up to 30 minutes.  It's not like geocachers followed the norm for flash mobs to begin with when shorter time frames were allowed.  We're kind of a non conforming group.

7 hours ago, Touchstone said:

We still have the occasional flash mob in my area, a few are related to the WWFM's mentioned above.  No restrictions on the activity per se, as long as the start to finish time adds up to 30 minutes.  It's not like geocachers followed the norm for flash mobs to begin with when shorter time frames were allowed.  We're kind of a non conforming group.

For the one I did in Zurich (at the central train station) a horn went off at the start of the FM, and again 15 minutes later, whereupon geocachers moved out of the trains station and went across the road to a meeting area where log sheets were signed, trackables traded and discovered, and socializing went on for a good hour.  It was more of a FM/geocaching event hybrid but it worked and would satisfy the stricter requirements for events that were put into place a couple of years ago.

5 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

For the one I did in Zurich (at the central train station) a horn went off at the start of the FM, and again 15 minutes later, whereupon geocachers moved out of the trains station and went across the road to a meeting area where log sheets were signed, trackables traded and discovered, and socializing went on for a good hour.  It was more of a FM/geocaching event hybrid but it worked and would satisfy the stricter requirements for events that were put into place a couple of years ago.

One of the first FM events I did had everyone meet at the top of a small hill in the park at the designated time. We signed log sheets, collected log sheets in a container, drew a couple raffle prizes, congratulated the guest of honor, thanked the organizer, and dispersed, all within 15 minutes. (This was before the current 30 minute minimum for events.) Most people then gathered in smaller groups and visited, just like a normal event. Some people eventually set off together to go geocaching, just like a normal event. Other than conducting all the "official business" within the 15 minute FM window, it was pretty much a normal event.

1 hour ago, Schmunzelhaase said:

i only mean 24 timezone's like here: timezone's.

yes only one timezone is outside the date (-12h or +12h). when the fm starts 12.01pm (+/-0) we can have one date. or am i wrong? first we must finding enough geocacher in different timezone's.

Your diagram is the theoretical distribution of UTC zones, and you know that in the real world they follow political boundaries instead.  But using these zones of 15 deg longitude  still doesn't give us one date. 

Look closely at the diagram you linked.  The UTC 12 zone is split into +12 and -12 with the date line as the divider.  At 1159 Monday at Greenwich, it is 2359 Monday night to the west of the date line (UTC+12) but 2359 Sunday night just east of the line (UTC-12).  When it turns to Tuesday in UTC+12, it turns to Monday in UTC-12.

From UTC 1100-1200, 23 of the zones would be Monday - only the UTC-12 would still be Sunday.  From UTC 1200-1300, 23 of the zones would be Monday - only the UTC+12 would now be Tuesday.  

I suppose you could plan your event for exactly UTC 1200, but I would bet that you'd hear from some philosophical purists about whether 2359 turns to 2400 or to 0000 and that particular time has no date.  Or even both dates.  Purists can give me a headache.

16 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Though it's not a flash mob, I think it's cool that the GIFF weekend events are held during the same long weekend in 40+ countries with thousands of geocachers watching the same geocaching films.  The events may happen at different times over 5 days, but it's a real global event.

Several yeas ago a software platform that has a pretty large user base had a major release and the web site associated with it had a suggestion for release parties to coincide with the release of the new version.  The page had a map, that over the course of a few days had pins all over the world where release parties were occurring and many photos of the release parties were posted.  They didn't try to synchronize every party with the exact time of the release and pretty much left the organizers of each gathering to do what they wanted.