Waymarking in Italy

We will be in the area of Pisa, Italy for a few days in mid november. It will again be a guided round-trip where we visit a pasta factory, see the olive harvest, visit a truffle festival etc. 

In preparation of our trip through Scotland you fellow waymarkers had tons of good suggestions about which categories I might find. Now I prepare for Italy, but so far I found no category that is Italy-related (beside the four Pizza categories ;)). Any ideas?

11 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

We will be in the area of Pisa, Italy for a few days in mid november. It will again be a guided round-trip where we visit a pasta factory, see the olive harvest, visit a truffle festival etc. 

In preparation of our trip through Scotland you fellow waymarkers had tons of good suggestions about which categories I might find. Now I prepare for Italy, but so far I found no category that is Italy-related (beside the four Pizza categories ;)). Any ideas?

If you find a Italian Benchmark take some pictures there may be a category for that in the future ?

Italy is not a country for icon hunters. There are no specific categories that cannot be found in other countries and there is no local Waymarking community.

But there are a lot of great and unique locations that can go to not so unique categories.

Don't go for new categories, go for great places!

I would especially look for churches, fountains, Renaissance architecture, statues and whatever may cross your way that is special.

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, razalas said:

That one already exists Leaning Tower of Pisa ?

That's right and it is already on my list, because I have no visits in the Human Error category yet.

10 hours ago, fi67 said:

Don't go for new categories, go for great places!

Our hotel will be in Montecasini Terme and so far there is no waymark there, but plenty in Pisa. So, I will try to find some nice places in Montecasini Terme and visit whatever I see in PISA. As it is a guided tour we will probably not have a lot of time to run around on our own, but the main purpose of the trip is to relax and enjoy the culinary aspect of Italy. :-)

15 hours ago, vulture1957 said:

first is a factory tour (the pasta factory)! Annual festivals. maybe Nations in Nations (Vatican City, if you go there). 100 Places to see before you die. Ancient Aqueducts?

Ancient Roman Civilizations? Ancient Traces and Roads. Antique Hotels. Bell Towers.

Thank you for all the ideas. I will see what I need and can find there.

I may be slow on the uptake, but I usually get there eventually...

It just dawned on me today - PISA-caching going on a trip to Waymark in Pisa.

It makes one wonder if perhaps Waymarking/Caching in Pisa was possibly number one on Andreas' bucket list when he concocted his handle.

Keith

Well, the "PISA" in our username has nothing to do with the city of Pisa. It's just the initials of my lady and myself. We might as well have used ASIP, IPAS or something  similar, but I chose PISA, so that people can mull over whether we come from Italy or spend all our vacations in Pisa or have something to do with the Programme for International Student Assessment. :-)

Anyway, the city of Pisa and all the other places we saw were great. We had a lot of luck with the weather. There was very heavy rain with floods and even casualties before we arrived and when we left, the forecast for the next day said less temperature and rain. And during the 3 days that we spent there we just had sun and a few clouds now and then.

We found a few geocaches and took around 800 photos, but only few of them will be used for new waymarks. My personal highlight of the trip was the Exibition Market Festival of White Truffle of San Miniato, because I just love truffels.  

Actually. I got to thinking that the "PISA" might be because, like the best known edifice in the town, you also lean to the left. :lol::lol::lol:

Even I got a chuckle out of that one...

Keith

EDIT: Talk about your coinkidinks - I just saw a news item on the tower on CTV news. It seems that engineers have straightened the tower somewhat and intend to straighten it a bit more in the future to minimize the danger of its falling over...

Edited by BK-Hunters
On 11/22/2018 at 3:09 AM, PISA-caching said:

We found a few geocaches and took around 800 photos, but only few of them will be used for new waymarks. My personal highlight of the trip was the Exibition Market Festival of White Truffle of San Miniato, because I just love truffels.  

Now you've got me drooling with envy. I've never even seen a truffle, much less eaten one. Do they taste like chicken??? :lol:

Keith