signature items - do people still collect

when i was caching i made and distributed hundreds of sig items, everything from custom key-fobs - somebody stole all of those i left in a trackable hotel once — to small first aid kits and other handmade trinkets.

over the years i also collected a bunch of stuff. some from caches, some in trades with other cachers who liked sig items.

i don't cache any longer nor do i know folks who do. and i can't find the old forum about sig items here. 

So i have this container of sig items! some very cool handmade things and of course wooden nickels. i hate the idea of throwing them all away but it's deep cleaning time at my house and these are just collecting dust.

i would love to give the whole lot to someone who is interested, maybe in geocaching history? i don't even know if some of these old-time cachers are still in the game.

if someone would pay for a small priority box for shipping, i would love to send these on their way. most are signed on the back or with a tag.

thoughts?

RSG

9142_geocaching signature sig items_3.jpg

• Upvote 1

I love finding signature swag! Wooden nickels are my favorite.

I was recently in a chocolate shop and mentioned that years ago I got a wooden nickel that can be redeemed for free fudge.  She told me they still accept them if I want to redeem it.  I told her no way, that I was keeping that wooden nickel! ?

Edited by Max and 99

I don't take much interest in the trinkets and rarely take anything, unless something useful stands out, such as a small note pad (last thing I souvenired), but a friend I often cache with always goes through it as he likes seeing what's there. Slows down the caching. He's a bit of a hoarder, I am not, so I think that is the difference.

I do though often leave trinkets in caches; anything from Christmas bon bon trinkets to old jewellery I am getting rid of. My mother often gives me nice trinkets she is deposing of too. I don't leave junk.

My best find ever...money (more than just a few coins) :o:D:ph34r:.

I once found a large toy box cache. It was stuffed full of children's toys in good condition. I guess someone was cleaning out.

We used to swap for signature items, was gonna use another coin-like thing similar to our geocoins for trade.

Most times we'd find them in the same condition as the rest of the stuff - moldy or damp/dirty,  and finally abandoned the idea.

We still trade at events.  Those usually don't need a Lysol wipe before it goes in a pocket.

We do leave uncirculated geocoins in caches now as swag, for those I really liked,  sometimes sending the CO a heads up email (in case he's interested) as well.  :) 

2 hours ago, RedShoesGirl said:

gosh, thanks. i needed  you to explain that to me in such a friendly tone. 

OK. I'll try again.

I love signature swag, especially wooden nickels. Thanks for the offer!

I thought I expressed an interest but apparently not enthusiastically enough. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

18 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

OK. I'll try again.

I love signature swag, especially wooden nickels. Thanks for the offer!

I thought I expressed an interest but apparently not enthusiastically enough. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

ok, let's try this again. you didn't express an interest in paying for shipping for the signature items, instead told me "you thought wrong." ...

so, would you like the whole box of sig items? if so, drop me a PM. they will all fit into one of the small priority shipping boxes. 

I think monetary value and trackable aspects of collectibles have overshadows sentimental value of them these days. I do think a significant collection of them them would certainly hold more value and interest than random individual ones. It's definitely impressive to have such a large collection of actually unique trinkets created to identify people! It'd be really difficult and take time to do. That's really cool. Plus, by showing the collection, you might get people offering to send their own items to you just to get into the collection ;)

On 10/22/2018 at 3:17 PM, captnemo said:

Hi Red Shoes, long time no hear from.  I won't mind these if no one else wants them.  If they do and will pay the shipping go for it.  If not let me know as I believe we still live in the same area and can arrange something.

hi! i would love to arrange something where i can give these to someone from the area who will appreciate them. just drop me a PM. best news all day!

On 10/22/2018 at 7:01 AM, thebruce0 said:

I think monetary value and trackable aspects of collectibles have overshadows sentimental value of them these days. I do think a significant collection of them them would certainly hold more value and interest than random individual ones. It's definitely impressive to have such a large collection of actually unique trinkets created to identify people! It'd be really difficult and take time to do. That's really cool. Plus, by showing the collection, you might get people offering to send their own items to you just to get into the collection ;)

the idea at this point is downsizing stuff in my house. as much as i think sig items are cool, i don't really want to collect more since i am not caching any longer.

neat idea, but not for me. thanks! :-)