GPS and Data...best amount to get

tn02

Hi
I was looking for a phone plan in Canada and wondered if I use the GPS to find Caches in the area that I am in, how much data does the GPS take up?  What, besides unlimited data, is the lowest data plan could I get??  Have people found that maybe 3 or 5 gigs is good enough??
Thanks 
tn02

32 minutes ago, tn02 said:

I was looking for a phone plan in Canada and wondered if I use the GPS to find Caches in the area that I am in, how much data does the GPS take up?  What, besides unlimited data, is the lowest data plan could I get??  Have people found that maybe 3 or 5 gigs is good enough??

First of all, prepare... make lists, create PQs for the areas you'll be visiting. Load the caches using (free) WiFi. There's no need for data when out caching. I used less than 500MB on 4 week trips abroad and most data was used on email, quick websearch, and the occasional refresh of cachedata (Android app GDAK loaded with database  of 2000+ caches that were loaded on my Oregon600 too). I shared that data with our son too.

• Upvote 1

Hi.

• The GPS part of your phone uses no data, period.
  • If you want maps in your caching app (there are many apps besides the "house brand"), those maps need either data, WiFi, or a cable to your computer.
  • Likewise to load caches into your caching app: data, WiFi, or cable.

Which means, you can cache with zero data.  It takes a little prep, but you do save money.

I cache with zero data by pre-loading over WiFi at home.  Occasionally I'll use a smidge of data in the field to load some extra logs or whatnot if I'm having trouble with a cache, but usually the preloaded logs (over WiFi, meaning free) are enough.

I pay $0.03 per megabyte for data ($30/G), and use maybe $2 or $3 of data in a typical month, and that's for the whole phone, not just caching.  Unlimited plans are a great way to waste money if you have WiFi at home.

PS, I see you're in Canada.  Check out Koodo Prepaid.  That's where I get the cheap data, which never expires, and it's on the mighty Telus network.  Telus owns Koodo.  Koodo is what they market to starving students and cheapskates like me.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Had the price wrong
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Hi.

• The GPS part of your phone uses no data, period.
  • If you want maps in your caching app (there are many apps besides the "house brand"), those maps need either data, WiFi, or a cable to your computer.
  • Likewise to load caches into your caching app: data, WiFi, or cable.

Which means, you can cache with zero data.  It takes a little prep, but you do save money.

I cache with zero data by pre-loading over WiFi at home.  Occasionally I'll use a smidge of data in the field to load some extra logs or whatnot if I'm having trouble with a cache, but usually the preloaded logs (over WiFi, meaning free) are enough.

I pay $0.03 per megabyte for data ($30/G), and use maybe $2 or $3 of data in a typical month, and that's for the whole phone, not just caching.  Unlimited plans are a great way to waste money if you have WiFi at home.

PS, I see you're in Canada.  Check out Koodo Prepaid.  That's where I get the cheap data, which never expires, and it's on the mighty Telus network.  Telus owns Koodo.  Koodo is what they market to starving students and cheapskates like me.

Yes the other phone I have BB (yes some of us do still have them) I am with Koodo cause yes they are better $$ wise and you can pick and choose what you want.  I will probably go with them with the iPhone I have now.  And ya true not to go the unlimited cause yes we will be using WiFi most of the time and we do have WiFi at home.  I am not a phone freak where I am on it with FB or Instagram or videos.  Just text or some apps like Geocache. And even if we are out, we check if the place has WiFi first :)   I like the geocache map cause if I am out and think "let's see if any caches are around here" I like that you can bring up the map then also use it as a gps to it.
And I also have been told about downloading the maps too.  I will try that too with new phone.
Thanks for the help.

2 hours ago, on4bam said:

First of all, prepare... make lists, create PQs for the areas you'll be visiting. Load the caches using (free) WiFi. There's no need for data when out caching. I used less than 500MB on 4 week trips abroad and most data was used on email, quick websearch, and the occasional refresh of cachedata (Android app GDAK loaded with database  of 2000+ caches that were loaded on my Oregon600 too). I shared that data with our son too.

I have been told about that and will probably do that too.  Thanks