Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
on4bam

Please, not again

I know GC likes wide open spaces but the change in layout when on the forum's "activity" page is now reduced by about 25% just by showing the "ad" to subscribe to the newsletter. There's bound to be a better place to put this so the list of subjects can once again be wider.

forumlayout.jpg

Interestingly, I don't see that unless I maximize my browser on my 1600px monitor.

Can you comfortably make your browser window narrower?  At my usual 2/3-of-the-monitor size, I actually see more text per line, because that blasted ad is gone.

That ad needs a go away forever button.  No, I don't want to hear from Marketing.  Trust me, I don't.

If I narrow the browserwindow to about half my monitorsize the ad is gone but that makes all other tabs useless unless I resize every time I change tabs. I often think, who comes up with these annoying "improvements"?

11 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

That ad needs a go away forever button.

It has, it's called "Subscribe"

I clicked the Subscribe button expecting a dialog to start but it all went away - I expect I've been subscribed already 😟

Nevermind I expect hope  I can unsubscribe when the newsletter comes through.

At first, I didn't see enything but when I clicked the Activity tab it showed up and made the page narrower.  And now it is gone again, when started this reply. :wacko:

2 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

It has, it's called "Subscribe"

😟

I don't want to subscribe, I want that junk off the screen and only see useful content.

AdBlock Plus effectively removes the entire sidebar, thus stretching out the screen again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TriciaG said:

AdBlock Plus effectively removes the entire sidebar, thus stretching out the screen again.

A lot of sites are now able to detect when a browser is using an adblocker and will either ask for their site to be whitelisted or will block access entirely.

I'm already subscribed to the newsletter, but still get the ad wanting me to subscribe. Not very clever, is it?

3 hours ago, TriciaG said:

Yes it does. but the subscribe widget shouldn't be there stealing 25% of the screen width to begin with.

2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

A lot of sites are now able to detect when a browser is using an adblocker and will either ask for their site to be whitelisted or will block access entirely.

Fortunately I haven't visited many that block the content for adblock users (I don't revisit in that case anyway). Noscript and Ghostery make sure not to much junk finds it's way to my PC anyway.

Edited by on4bam

This box appears to have been automatically included during a recent Invision software upgrade. We're investigating how to remove it.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1