Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Snowdog

Benchmark Recovery Form Entries

On the NGS benchmark recovery form, there's an option to post a note as GEOCAC (Geocaching). The Benchmarking FAQ also says that we can write recovery notes as GEOCAC.

Has anyone here actually done this? 

(sorry if this is a duplicate, I thought I had asked this a few months ago but can't find the post anywhere here on the forum)

Many of us have used that designation for recovery reports for a long time.  You can see it on many data sheets.

When submitting to NGS keep it very businesslike-just the facts a surveyor would want to use to find it or to understand how carefully you looked before reporting NF. 

The old style was to be concise, but the current occupant of the "Deb Brown" chair will edit your report to complete sentences, spell out abbreviations, and insert metric conversions.  So make sure your report can't be misinterpreted by someone who doesn't have field experience.  If you use the form do your own metric conversions.

DSWORLD is a better way to go than the web form because it has a Fornat button that does much of that editing, and you can check the results before submitting.  I often re-edit its metric conversions to more appropriate significant figures, as I don't want my estimate of about 100 ft given to sub-meter precision.  You can also put your handheld GPS coordinates into it directly (xx.x on seconds) instead of just in the text.

When I started doing GPSonBM submissions GEOCAC wasn't an option (they don't expect geocachers to have precision GPS) so I started using Independent and Individual, which are the closest match on the two lists.

OK, nice to know. I have never seen a GEOCAC entry on a data sheet but then again I usually just go by the info on the cache page and only look at data sheets for the detailed info on reference marks for triangulation stations and such. I will start watching for those. My habit for a long while is to just put better coords in my geo log entry (if appropriate) and provide good photos of the disk and of the setting. I suppose it would be appropriate to submit an entry if the benchmark hasn't had an official update in some time and has never been geo logged. Would that be appropriate?

Well, I don't understand the new NGS pages,  Too techie for me.  But, if you check LY0424, you'll see that I logged it as GEOAC with my initials.  Not logged in 83 years.

All, 

Bill93 hit the main point for a Bench Marker recovery  (technical NGS term - much more precise that a GEOCACHE 'found'):

"When submitting to NGS keep it very businesslike-just the facts a surveyor would want to use to find it or to understand how carefully you looked before reporting NF. "

I think that a 'recovery' should use the same DDDMMSS.s protocol as the DATASHEET.   And it only takes a couple of clicks to copy/paste a PID into the

National Geodetic Survey Data Explorer

search box to see the current status.

kayakbird  -  MEL