New cache co-ordinates

Sabina & Dogs

Hi

I am trying to activate my first hide, it is in a Forestry Commission Woods.  I have been told I need to ask permission, I have contact with the lady in the Forestry Commission - but it is just going round in circles re the co-ordinates.

I got longitude etc AND N and W - she needs grid reference, I tried to find an online conversion, but the grid reference it changed it to is miles away from where the cache is!!

How do I convert my co-ordinates into a grid reference please.

Latitude - 53. 492942260617006

Longitude - -0.7172669153249717

N 53° 29.577 W 000° 43.036

The grid reference needs to start with SK

Thanks

Sorry I can't help you, but I am amazed she just can't put the coordinates into google maps. Does she know she can? I had this problem when trying to phone in a report of a fire to the fire brigade. They didn't know how to use the coordinates I was attempting to tell me, they kept instead asking for the road name. I was out in the country, a very  long road, without a sign or building in sight. Even if I had known the road name (which later I realised I probably could have found), it wouldn't have told them where on this road that ran for many kms the fire was. So I asked if they could get Google maps up on their computer. They could, so I said type in what I tell you. I read out the coordinates and they typed them in. Then I said, "That is where the fire is." After that they sent out two engines.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
24 minutes ago, searcherdog said:

53.49294 0.71726 gives SE 85199 00349

29.577 43.036 gives SE 85199 00350

Laughton Forest on a short stretch of forest track between two bends in the track approx 150m apart

SK starts slightly further south

Any good?

Sabina, streetmap.co.uk is a useful tool for converting and viewing UK coords.  If you enter 53.492942260617006, -0.7172669153249717 (high level of accuracy!) you'll see your spot in Laughton Forest.  Zoom out for the OS map, and you'll see that the location is at the bottom of the 'SE' grid square (above 'SK').  Use the 'Click here to convert coordinates' link to see the OS Grid Ref, SE8519800347.

(There is an annoying limitation on streetmap.co.uk: it only accepts/displays DD and DMS formats for lat/long, rather than the more Geocaching-friendly DDM.)

• Upvote 2

Wow thanks everyone - the emails have been going backwards and forwards with the lady saying she can't put anything but grid reference in her system and I have been trying lots of online conversions and getting miles away  - you are all right - re Laughton woods and your description - so I know my co-ordinates are also right - thanks everyone, and thanks for the info re street map IceCOLD UK

• Upvote 1
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 5:42 AM, Sabina & Dogs said:

Wow thanks everyone - the emails have been going backwards and forwards with the lady saying she can't put anything but grid reference in her system and I have been trying lots of online conversions and getting miles away  - you are all right - re Laughton woods and your description - so I know my co-ordinates are also right - thanks everyone, and thanks for the info re street map IceCOLD UK

Nice work.  Now go get that permission and get that cache out.