My new waymark is already gone!

Max and 99

I read every edition of my city's newspaper. I've learned over the past 20 years that not one other person that I know subscribes to it. I'm often asked, "How do you find this stuff out?" when I share something useful with a friend for Waymarking or geocaching or just a community event.  I know no one else who gets the paper! 

I once waymarked a really old water tower in a nearby town here, and a few weeks later it had disappeared!

I knew there was a newer water tower outside of town, but I had no idea that the old one was slated for destruction.

In retrospect, it was a good idea that I had waymarked it.  Some of the only photos of the old tower are in the waymark.

Your disappeared business "lives on" in Waymarking.

• Helpful 2

Sometimes I wait to long to waymark something, maybe a museum or business that I visited on a trip. 3 years later I want to waymark it and in the process discover it's history. Example: Lucile M. Wright Air Museum in Jamestown New York. Visited in 2015. It closed in 2017. I missed out.

Makes me wonder about Waymarking certain locations that I visited many years before, in case it has changed much.

3 hours ago, Bon Echo said:

Sometimes I wait to long to waymark something, maybe a museum or business that I visited on a trip. 3 years later I want to waymark it and in the process discover it's history. Example: Lucile M. Wright Air Museum in Jamestown New York. Visited in 2015. It closed in 2017. I missed out.

Makes me wonder about Waymarking certain locations that I visited many years before, in case it has changed much.

At least with google maps etc, we can check to see if such sites still exist.

9 hours ago, elyob said:

For me this happens much too often Waymarking benchmarks.  I create a waymark and then the sidewalk or road is redone.

This has happened to us a few times now. Once we actually saw them jackhammering the sidewalk where I had Waymarked a benchmark, so I asked the foreman to save it for me. He said he would, but the next day he told me that he had forgotten about it.

More often, though, I arrive on the scene to search for a benchmark only to find that they had replaced the sidewalk/curb/road months/years/decades prior and the BM was never replaced. Only rarely do we happen to find a reset.

Keith

5 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

I waymarked a "Jamba Juice" outlet that my daughter and I have frequented for many years. A week later it was closed. According to the newspaper they  might re open so I'm going to just leave it the way it is for now.

Our Jamba Juice closed for two months then reopened. Right after we bought gift cards that including four free drinks for the next two months (the same months they closed!). 

Wait, you can waymark Jamba Juice? I better hurry before The Snowdog takes it! 

21 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Our Jamba Juice closed for two months then reopened. Right after we bought gift cards that including four free drinks for the next two months (the same months they closed!). 

Wait, you can waymark Jamba Juice? I better hurry before The Snowdog takes it! 

The category you're looking for is "Juice and Smoothie Bars." Go set that waymark!

Edited by The Snowdog
1 hour ago, The Snowdog said:

It's a curse. I just waymarked a Long John Silver's that I've eaten at for decades. It was closed the next time I drove by!

Uh oh. It wasn't at 122nd and Penn, was it? If not, maybe I should hurry up and waymark that one before it closes!

Funny how our LJS experience was so similar!

I've always like LJS, except the ones that don't follow corporate guidelines and end up undercooking the fish.  (Yuck!)  Like the one in Carthage, Missouri.  But most of them are okay.

Back in the day, I liked Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips even better.  Seemed less greasy.  Like Captain D's.

Our nearby "big" town of Cassville recently had the LJS/Taco Bell remodeled and it ended up just being a Taco Bell.  They had removed everything LJS.  Ominous warning, I guess.  Now if they'd put in a Captain D's there, I wouldn't mind so much.  In fact I'd like it.

• Surprised 1

Just about 1 year ago I posted an old car dealership sign in the Neon Sign category. A few days ago, I was coming home from picking the grandson up from work and saw them dismantling the sign. I took a couple pictures, and I'll edit the waymark to show it as no longer there.

Edited by vulture1957