Armchair loggers

Armchair loggers; what do they get from it?
This example.
I notice an armchair logger(s?), who has been (NOT) finding caches near where I live has gone further than logging caches they didn't find, as they have now published a geocache... which no-one can find, rather like their signatures of their cache 'finds', which no-one can find either. Many of their logs have been deleted by owners. (I wish the other owners would do the same, and can't understand why they don't, even when told about these cachers.) This armchair logger came unstuck when they logged a multicache, which goes from Canberra to Hobart. "Today we wanted to try and do multicaches close to home..." Sure, 1,380 km (google maps) plus an overnight ferry ride (or plane flight) is "close to home".

Their published cache has troll in the name, which I suspect is apt.

I wanted to give their names, but I wasn't sure that was suitable here.

What are other's experiences and thoughts on armchair loggers?

Edited by Goldenwattle
Spelling
5 minutes ago, Team Microdot said:

Be careful - might be a child.

They write like adults. But even if they are a child, who must be an older child, they are still armchair loggers. Cache owners have written to them, but still they continue. They now know this is something they shouldn't be doing, even if a child, smart enough to write very believable logs with short stories, not just TFTC.

Edited by Goldenwattle

If you searched for their cache, and could not find it, consider logging a NM on the cache. Definitely log a DNF. Then, let the CHS system take over from there.

As for armchair loggers, its only happened a couple of times on trackables that I own. (I'm not a CO.) I just deleted the logs, but then, I didn't have a mass of logs to deal with. I would assume that getting someone banned because of armchair logging would require a large amount of documentation. Multiple CO's, with copies of the log sheets, and showing the same cut & paste online logs might do it. For me, too much effort, unless the armchair logger repeatedly logged the cache.

1 hour ago, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

If you searched for their cache, and could not find it, consider logging a NM on the cache. Definitely log a DNF. Then, let the CHS system take over from there.

I've found the cache page for this one and it has quite a few DNFs already.  It also looks like the CO has made (or claims to) frequent visits to the cache and has confirmed that it's still there.   The 3.5D rating might just be a bit low.  It's there first hide so it's understandable that the ratings might not be accurate.  From the satellite view it also appears to be under a roadway (just before crossing a bridge) which would explain the "troll" in the title (and wouldn't be the first geocache I've seen with troll in the title that was under a bridge).  

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I've found the cache page for this one and it has quite a few DNFs already.  It also looks like the CO has made (or claims to) frequent visits to the cache and has confirmed that it's still there.   The 3.5D rating might just be a bit low.  It's there first hide so it's understandable that the ratings might not be accurate.  From the satellite view it also appears to be under a roadway (just before crossing a bridge) which would explain the "troll" in the title (and wouldn't be the first geocache I've seen with troll in the title that was under a bridge).  

Trouble is, all their armchair logs had believable logs too. Notice, although they sound good, there are no mentions of the actual cache. Examples:

" Big day bushwalking
A pretty enjoyable day out with Pete
Quite a hot day but we are glad we have plenty of water
Merry christmas everyone! :)"

(I have four caches in this series and I checked my logs. No signatures. Several others then checked their logs. No signatures.)

"bring bring on our bikes today for the majura bike series.
we rode the trail on our trek bikes in the heat
most of the caches were found nice and easy
thank you for the nice series. glad to get home in the shade
thanks!"

(The next is a multi requiring travelling over 400kms return to complete. "close to home"...really:rolleyes:)

"today we wanted to try and do multicaches close to home
a lot of fun in the sun with pete lots of walking and driving
we found a few multicaches which was really fun
hopefully i will hide some soon
thanks"

I don't get it either but for whatever reason they enjoy armchair logging.  

Find numbers mean little to me and I don't place caches so that people can pad their stats.    Don't waist your time and energy worrying about them.  Focus on more fun and creative endeavors like finding another cache or hiding one. 

There's also nothing wrong with reporting suspected "fowl play" to GS and let them take it from there.         

38 minutes ago, justintim1999 said:

I don't get it either but for whatever reason they enjoy armchair logging.  

Find numbers mean little to me and I don't place caches so that people can pad their stats.    Don't waist your time and energy worrying about them.  Focus on more fun and creative endeavors like finding another cache or hiding one. 

There's also nothing wrong with reporting suspected "fowl play" to GS and let them take it from there.         

Placing what I suspect is an armchair cache too :rolleyes:.

I have no trouble deleting.

Edited by Goldenwattle