Lost the Send to my GPS button

Offduty

I have an etrex vista HCx and i cant send to GPS anymore. Some people say save the gpx file in the gpx folder but my gps has no gpx folder just a garmin folder.

There are caches on my gps but I dont know where they are ( in what map).

PLz help.

50 minutes ago, malhy2 said:

I have an etrex vista HCx and i cant send to GPS anymore. Some people say save the gpx file in the gpx folder but my gps has no gpx folder just a garmin folder.

There are caches on my gps but I dont know where they are ( in what map).

Does it have a /Garmin/GPX folder?

Have you tried to search for *.gpx on your GPS?

46 minutes ago, on4bam said:

Does it have a /Garmin/GPX folder?

Have you tried to search for *.gpx on your GPS?

A Vista HCX can't read GPX files.  That capability started with the Colorado in 2008.  The Vista is just too old as it came out in 2007.

You need to open the GPX files with a program such as Basecamp or EasyGPS and use that program to send the waypoints to the Vista.

• Helpful 1
39 minutes ago, malhy2 said:

ok ty this will make my geocache life muh more difficult.

A better option would have been to let people with older GPS-es to choose wheter or not to keep the send to button.

Ed

The loss of the button has nothing to do with Groundspeak.  Without getting into the details, it is a Garmin issue.  Garmin has no desire to support old products.  There is nothing in it for them.

The reality is that everything would be much easier for you if you either started using a smart phone or a newer GPS.

Edited by Red90
1 hour ago, on4bam said:

No it's not. It's a security issue with 1990 technology (NPAPI) being dropped by most browsers.

No, it is Garmin.  They could have written a new interface using acceptable technologies if they wanted.  They chose not to.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Red90 said:

No, it is Garmin.  They could have written a new interface using acceptable technologies if they wanted.  They chose not to.

Garmin drops support for discontinued devices after a time, just as pretty much every manufacturer does. It's not really a "Garmin" thing. It's the way of the world.

Plus, Garmin did write a new interface using acceptable technologies.

For one or two caches, type coordinates into even the oldest GPS. Or try any of a bunch of software options.

Edited by kunarion

i was thinking of buying a oragon 650. I do use my smartphone occasionally but the batterylife is nothing compared to a GPS.

Kunarion speaks about sofware options could you plz name a couple I could look at so i could still use my Etrex Vista HTc untill I hev my oregon.

Regards 

Team de Blinde Vinken

the Netherlands

16 minutes ago, malhy2 said:

i was thinking of buying a oragon 650. I do use my smartphone occasionally but the batterylife is nothing compared to a GPS.

Kunarion speaks about sofware options could you plz name a couple

for iPhone: the official app, or Cachely

for Android: the official app, GCDroid, Locus Map, Geooh Live, ...  There are actually way more choices for android than for iOS. 

Ooh i thought the software options were for replacing the sending to GPS button.

I just have the problem that my etrex vista does not support GPX file's, so I think my only solution is to buy a new GPS device that supports GPX.

regards

Team de Blinde Vinken

the Netherlands

Edited by Keystone
off topic material removed by moderator

Oh... right.

If you're a Windows user, GSAK, though that is overkill for just a cache or two. When you get your Oregon and if you decided to switch to a premium membership, GSAK will be your best friend. Though you can get along just fine without it using just pocket queries.

There's also a program called EasyGPS that can load data to your eTrex. It's more of a generic GPS data program similar to Basecamp or Mapsource. If you can find it and it still works with Windows 10, Mapsource will also work.

If you're a Mac user, iCaching should work - it's the Mac equivalent of GSAK, at least it's as good as we're going to get. And someone said Basecamp will work with the eTrex Vista HCx, but I'm suspicious about that. I don't think Garmin ever made a Mac compatible version of Mapsource, and if they did, it probably won't run on the latest MacOS.