[looking for Windows 10 drivers for ] vista hcx

iwanceri

hi I have the above gps receiver ,I recently changed my laptop and am running windows 10, I cannot find my original set up cd disc so my laptop does nor recognise the vista so I cannot download cache coordinates , I have contacted garmin who informed me that they no longer deal with the vista as it is discontinued, any ideas if theirs anyway around this. thanks.

You will need some additional software.

First, download and install the Garmin USB drivers. This will make your laptop recognise your Vista.

Second, you will need additional software to put GPX files onto your Vista. Free programs are MapSource, BaseCamp or EasyGPS.

Downloading a cache onto your Vista:

Download the GPX file from the cache page.

Open the downloaded GPX in MapSource/BaseCamp/EasyGPS.

Sent it from there to your Vista.

I know there are many people who cling to their old technology, and there are plenty of folks here who will help you find workarounds to keep using that old Etrex Vista, but I'm a firmly hold my stance that it's time to retire those Garmin devices that connect with the proprietary Garmin serial port.

The culture of disposable technology goes against my principles. I love that GPS devices can essentially be used for basic navigation until the hardware no longer functions. But while the basic technology standards rarely change (I think USB is now over 20 years old), they have changed since your GPS was first made. They now connect directly with a standard USB cable, are plug n play, and mount in mass storage mode which makes it super easy to transfer data files back and forth. And they all accept the GPX standard directly with no software needed to convert the files. Onboard memory supports larger maps and handles more routes, tracks, and waypoints. Geocaches are treated as their own class of data.

58 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

... it's time to retire those Garmin devices that connect with the proprietary Garmin serial port.
... They now connect directly with a standard USB cable, are plug n play, and mount in mass storage mode

The vista isn't serial, it's USB and uses a standard mini USB cable, and while it's been a long time since I had one I'm sure they support mass storage mode too, so as long as the op has te right drivers it should be plug n play.

1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

The vista isn't serial, it's USB and uses a standard mini USB cable, and while it's been a long time since I had one I'm sure they support mass storage mode too, so as long as the op has te right drivers it should be plug n play.

They have mass storage, but it is only for the card, which stores maps and custom POIs.

Waypoints must go on with Garmin's USB protocol and you need the USB drivers.

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Red90 said:

What program are you trying to use to send the coordinates?  It does not take GPX files directly.  You need to use a program that uses Garmin's USB protocol.

Which I think might require Mapsource. Basecamp is designed around standard USB and mass-storage mode. GSAK might work as well. I still stand by my claim that it's time to find a newer GPS to work with, but godspeed if you want to continue using legacy hardware.

Express won't work for older models, even if the topic starter was a premium member (which he/she isn't).

Mapsource is preferred over Basecamp, but BC will also work (a bit slower than MS though).

GSAK is also an option, but since it's not free I didn't mention it in my previous post.

GPSBabel supports Garmin USB protocol on all OSes. It did so before even Garmin's own software.

As a moderator note, please pick good subject lines. Try to be specific to capture the attention of the people most likely to help you. You got lots of good answers above, but that subject line is your best shot at getting attention. I've tried to help this one.