Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
toms un dzerijs

Help me decide on which GPS to buy!

Hello everyone! I am not very familiar with geocaching with a Garmin, but I am looking to get one. Which one should I buy - Garmin Oregon 750t or Garmin Montana 680t? I personally like the Motana better in terms of it's screen size but I don't which one is better for Geocaching.

17 minutes ago, toms un dzerijs said:

Hello everyone! I am not very familiar with geocaching with a Garmin, but I am looking to get one. Which one should I buy - Garmin Oregon 750t or Garmin Montana 680t? I personally like the Motana better in terms of it's screen size but I don't which one is better for Geocaching.

The Montana definitely is big. Did you compare how it each device feels to hold and carry around?

A couple of considerations are, the 750 has wireless cache loading over a hotspot or bluetooth. The Montana has an optional car mount with a speaker that allows it to charge and do voice street routing, and it's slightly more expensive than the 750.

• Helpful 1

18 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The Montana definitely is big. Did you compare how it each device feels to hold and carry around?

A couple of considerations are, the 750 has wireless cache loading over a hotspot or bluetooth. The Montana has an optional car mount with a speaker that allows it to charge and do voice street routing, and it's slightly more expensive than the 750.

Thanks! I am planning to go to the local Garmin store to test both devices in person!

They are both good units in their own ways. You should also check out the soon to be released GPSmap 66.

2 hours ago, MaliBooBoo said:

They are both good units in their own ways. You should also check out the soon to be released GPSmap 66.

Thanks! I will check it out tho I am not a big fan of button GPS devices.

5 hours ago, toms un dzerijs said:

Thanks! I will check it out tho I am not a big fan of button GPS devices.

I would also suggest the Oregon 7x0 for Geocaching if you do not like buttons!

While the Montana's screen size is an advantage, I think that the features on the Oregon outweigh the Montana. The capacitive touch screen is much nicer to use, and more durable (I'd still recommend a screen protector over it, though), the Oregon's screen is brighter and easier to read even without a backlight, and the two customizable buttons on the side are what seal the deal for me (I have a 600, but it's basically identical to the 700 minus the wifi features).

• Helpful 2

10 hours ago, Mineral2 said:

While the Montana's screen size is an advantage, I think that the features on the Oregon outweigh the Montana. The capacitive touch screen is much nicer to use, and more durable (I'd still recommend a screen protector over it, though), the Oregon's screen is brighter and easier to read even without a backlight, and the two customizable buttons on the side are what seal the deal for me (I have a 600, but it's basically identical to the 700 minus the wifi features).

Thanks! I have made my choise. Oregon it is!