Where is the date?

Geopathic*

I needed to enable a cache so selected the "enable" option on the right hand side, but when I clicked "post" it wanted a date and would not continue. I could not find anywhere where there was a date to select. I clicked everywhere. I then discovered that if you select "Log a new visit" then "owner maintenance" you can then select a date (just as there is only the arrow to drop to menu visible). Then you can select "enable". This seems very long winded and when I asked on the Facebook page a couple of other people seemed confused by this. Has anyone else noticed this?

photo.jpg

9 minutes ago, Geopathic* said:

I needed to enable a cache so selected the "enable" option on the right hand side, but when I clicked "post" it wanted a date and would not continue. I could not find anywhere where there was a date to select. I clicked everywhere. I then discovered that if you select "Log a new visit" then "owner maintenance" you can then select a date (just as there is only the arrow to drop to menu visible). Then you can select "enable". This seems very long winded and when I asked on the Facebook page a couple of other people seemed confused by this. Has anyone else noticed this?

photo.jpg

When I click on "Enable", a date shows for a split section at the top right of your screen shot. Then it's gone. Can you try again and see if the date shows for a split second? Odd glitch!

Windows Pro, Firefox 61.0.1  scripts disabled.

NEW LOGGING, on Geocaching.com  - I  see no date, or date module with log type Enable, Disable -  but the logs did post for me with no issue, and on the cache page, were dated.

If you "opt out" to back to "old logging" there is a date module, and that I think will work. 

If you add more info about operating system and browser, that will help with troubleshooting this.

Sprite #8.jpg

I also offer the possibility that this relates to the cache adoption. Although the adoption was a week old, in other threads, it seems the site fails to properly update the NEW ownership until a log is posted, or something forces the cache page to refresh. So although the complaint was  "no date", I wonder if the underlying issue may have been the site just failing to see you as owner (it wouldn't be the first time that the error message and the actual error weren't well related)? Once you posted some other log, then you're the owner, and now you can enable? maybe.....

try disabling and enabling some other cache you own, no adoption ;-) see if it works.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
1 hour ago, NanCycle said:

It has nothing to do with adoption.   I tried disabling and enabling one of my caches. It assumes you are doing it on the current date. I didn't try but I would think that you can edit the log to change the date --if there's any reason to do that.

It seems to me that there would be a reasonable assumption that Enable/Disable logs would be on the current date.   Since it's quite common for people to post Found It or DNF logs on a date other than when the activity occurred, overriding the current date also makes sense.  

On 10/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, Max and 99 said:

When I click on "Enable", a date shows for a split section at the top right of your screen shot. Then it's gone. Can you try again and see if the date shows for a split second? Odd glitch!

Does no one else see a date flicker at the top right? Just curious.

I tried it three more times just now,  including once where my son was a witness, and it shows up every time!

1 hour ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

It seems to me that there would be a reasonable assumption that Enable/Disable logs would be on the current date.   Since it's quite common for people to post Found It or DNF logs on a date other than when the activity occurred, overriding the current date also makes sense.  

This was what I assumed when Geopathic first mentioned the issue on the UK Geocaching FB page.  But then she reported she was getting an error message for a missing date, so I suggested she mention it here.  I didn’t want to mess around with the status of one of my own caches at the time but...

Selecting ‘Enable’ from the cache page, I do see the date flash up briefly before disappearing.  But when I ‘Post’, no error message, and the cache is enabled with today’s date as expected.

Could this have changed over the last few days?  Or maybe a browser-specific issue?

On 10/9/2018 at 8:21 AM, NanCycle said:

It has nothing to do with adoption.   I tried disabling and enabling one of my caches. It assumes you are doing it on the current date. I didn't try but I would think that you can edit the log to change the date --if there's any reason to do that.

Just found out that you can't change the date of a NM log, so it seems likely that the Disable and Enable logs aren't date-editable  either.   

I logged NM's today on caches I found Friday and wanted to make the log date be the day I was actually at the cache -- couldn't change it.