Problem with accessing geocaching.com via my phone

NanCycle

For a long time (weeks, months, idk) I have been unable to access geocaching.com via my phone.  I always get the message "Webpage not available.  The webpage at https://www.geocaching.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.  Suggestions:  Make sure you have a data connection.  Reload this webpage later. Check the address you entered."  

I am able to access other webpages.  I have reloaded numerous times over a long period (verging on if not past the point of insanity).  It doesn't matter whether I type in the address or tap it in a Google search.

I am able to access the site via the app by clicking on "Open in browser" from a cache page.  

How can I get past the error message?  

Phone:  HTC Desire 510

HTC Sense version 6.0

Android 4.4.2 

Edited by NanCycle
typo
3 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

You've spelt the domain name wrong. it's geocaching (with an H), not geocacing.

OK, you've got a sharp eye, but that's just a typo in the post; I have it right on the phone.  Anyway that would not explain why it doesn't work when selecting a site from a Google search list.

Just now, NanCycle said:

OK, you've got a sharp eye, but that's just a typo in the post; I have it right on the phone.  Anyway that would not explain why it doesn't work when selecting a site from a Google search list.

Yep, I thought it might be but it was worth mentioning as I've been caught out by silly things like that and if the incorrect spelling had been cached somewhere in the phone, well... The only other thing that comes immediately to mind is that the geocaching.com URL might have been inadvertently put on a blacklist, either in the phone itself or by your phone's service provider. But that doesn't explain why the Open in Browser button in the app works.

27 minutes ago, NanCycle said:

I guessed that a search for www.geocacing.com might produce results for www.geocacing.com. :P

Modern web browsers don't require the preceding "https", nor even the "www".  What happens if you type simply "geocaching.com"?

My HTC U11 phone seems to have no issue with https://www.geocaching.com/, either using Firefox or Chrome.  Is there another browser to try?  When you use "Open in browser" is it opening a different browser than the one that doesn't work?

Whatever browser it is, there may be a way to clear browsing data and fix the whole thing.  For example, Chrome has a "History" section with the option "Clear browsing data", and other settings that could be culprits.

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Modern web browsers don't require the preceding "https", nor even the "www".  What happens if you type simply "geocaching.com"?

My HTC U11 phone seems to have no issue with https://www.geocaching.com/, either using Firefox or Chrome.  Is there another browser to try?  When you use "Open in browser" is it opening a different browser than the one that doesn't work?

Whatever browser it is, there may be a way to clear browsing data and fix the whole thing.  For example, Chrome has a "History" section with the option "Clear browsing data", and other settings that could be culprits.

When I type, I just use geocaching.com -- it always puts in the rest.

I think we're getting somewhere!   When I go through the app to "Open in browser " I get a choice between "Chrome" or "Internet."  I choose Chrome.   Just to try it, I  chose  Internet and it didn't work.   Internet is the one with the globe icon showing the northern part of the  western hemisphere  (Android Internet? ) and is the one that I was trying to use.   Since it does work for other sites, I'll see if I can find out how to clear the browsing data.  

But I also tried using Chrome without the app and it worked.  So maybe I'll just use Chrome and forget the other browser.

Thanks so much!   You are a genius!

5 hours ago, NanCycle said:

When I type, I just use geocaching.com -- it always puts in the rest.

I think we're getting somewhere!   When I go through the app to "Open in browser " I get a choice between "Chrome" or "Internet."  I choose Chrome.   Just to try it, I  chose  Internet and it didn't work.   Internet is the one with the globe icon showing the northern part of the  western hemisphere  (Android Internet? ) and is the one that I was trying to use.   Since it does work for other sites, I'll see if I can find out how to clear the browsing data.  

But I also tried using Chrome without the app and it worked.  So maybe I'll just use Chrome and forget the other browser.

Thanks so much!   You are a genius!

I'm glad you're getting it working!  My HTC phone only came with Chrome, no factory "Internet" browser like my tablets had. I use Firefox most of the time.

Edited by kunarion