Drafts not clearing after posting on website

CAVinoGal

Since September 28 (likely when I installed the most recent app update released September 26) my drafts in the app don't clear once I post my log on the website.  Here's my typical "workflow" - 

• I use the Geocaching app to locate, search for, and hopefully find a cache.  I log the results as a Draft, making a few quick notes about the find.
  • Once I get home, I log on to the geocaching.com website, go to the Drafts on the left side of my Dashboard, and click on the draft I want to log.
  • The edit window opens, I flesh out the details of the find, open the trackables drop down list to visit or otherwise log any trackables, and hit Submit.

I hit "Back to Drafts" to continue logging the other drafts, if any, I created for that day. The drafts are then gone from the list on the website.

In my app, though, I have all the drafts from Sept. 28 through today.  Prior to the 28th, once I logged from my drafts on the website, the app would sync and I wouldn't see them in the app or on the website.  The app also shows a blue exclamation point for all the caches I have found since 9/28, rather than the smilie.  The website shows the smilie. 

Sometimes there would be a delay in the app showing the smilies; but this is going on for over a week now with no syncing happening.  I've restarted the phone, and the app, logged off and back on to the website - my Find count is updated in the app, but the map has blue exclamation marks that are increasing every day, and my drafts folders is getting full!  Anyone else seeing this?

Android app, version 6.12.1

Google Pixel (original) running Android 9

7 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

the map has blue exclamation marks that are increasing every day, and my drafts folders is getting full!  Anyone else seeing this?

I'm seeing the same thing on my HTC U11 on version 6.12.1, after finding four caches yesterday using the App.  I don't mind the drafts remaining, since that's more like how a Garmin handles "drafts" (field notes). Could be worse. They could automagically disappear from both the App and web site, and I'd much prefer this failsafe where I have to delete them myself.  But I'd like bulk delete, and an indicator showing which App drafts have been completed as logs on the site.

I was able to delete the drafts individually.  These were urban caches, I usually cache with a handheld GPS instead, so I can't say how long it's been like this.

I deleted/installed the App just now.  No difference.

Edited by kunarion
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

I'm seeing the same thing on my HTC U11 on version 6.12.1, after finding four caches yesterday using the App.  I don't mind the drafts remaining, since that's more like how a Garmin handles "drafts" (field notes). Could be worse. They could automagically disappear from both the App and web site, and I'd much prefer this failsafe where I have to delete them myself.  But I'd like bulk delete, and an indicator showing which App drafts have been completed as logs on the site.

I was able to delete the drafts individually. 

Once you delete the drafts, do the icons on the map update to sync with the website?  As I said in my OP, my Find count is accurate (matches the website) in the app, but it doesn't match up with the map.

**Edit - I just deleted the oldest of the drafts, and the icon updated to a smilie.  I double checked to make sure my "Found it" log was there (it was), then deleted the draft.  OK--I can delete them as I go once I know I've actually logged it.  It's just an extra step I haven't had to take before.  I could get used to doing that, as you said, kunarion, as a failsafe ensuring the log is done.

I wonder if this is an intentional change?  It seems to have developed with the latest update to the app.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Update info
6 hours ago, geo_android said:

Thanks for reporting this. This is definitely unintended behavior. Something must be up with the sync coming back down to the app to let it know a draft has been deleted or posted.

We are taking a look!

Thanks!  I just logged 4 caches on the website from my drafts made earlier in the day, 3 Finds and 1 DNF.  The "drafts" are still on my phone, and the phone map shows exclamation points; my Find count is accurate on the phone and website, the website shows smilies (or a frownie, for the DNF).  

Just a side note - I have 4 older "drafts" that stopped showing up on the phone, but they are preserved on the website.  That's fine - I figured once drafts reached a certain threshold they stopped showing in the app.  But it could get confusing - my website profile/dashboard shows 4 drafts (March, April, May, August notes on caches), and my app shows 4 drafts all from today, that I have already logged on the website and are reflected in my Find count.  I can provide screenshots if needed.

Edited by CAVinoGal

Thank you everyone for reporting this.

You all should be seeing an update in the store for v6.13.0, sometime today, which fixes the bad draft behavior.

Again, thank you all for these posts. They were extremely helpful in reproducing and fixing this bug!

On 10/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Just a side note - I have 4 older "drafts" that stopped showing up on the phone, but they are preserved on the website. 

Holler if they don't show up after the update to v6.13.0. They should still show up in the app if they have not been resolved in some way.

• Helpful 1
16 minutes ago, geo_android said:

You all should be seeing an update in the store for v6.13.0, sometime today, which fixes the bad draft behavior.

Again, thank you all for these posts. They were extremely helpful in reproducing and fixing this bug!

Holler if they don't show up after the update to v6.13.0. They should still show up in the app if they have not been resolved in some way.

On my phone Google Play says the app was updated to version 6.13.0 thirteen hours ago.  Four lingering drafts are gone now.  I had already entered all the logs on the web site, so I can't test which get removed and which remain.  But it looks OK now.  Thanks! :)

11 hours ago, geo_android said:

Just a side note - I have 4 older "drafts" that stopped showing up on the phone, but they are preserved on the website. 

Just saw this, and sure enough, there was an update to Geocaching.com.  I installed it, restarted the app and the 4 drafts on the website are now the same 4 drafts on app!  YAY!  We will be going out to find our COTD later this afternoon, and I plan to do my usual draft, then log later on the computer at home.  I will report back if it all works as it did before.

Thanks for the fast action on this - wish 'd mentioned it earlier, but I thought it would resolve itself!!  All is good now, as far as I can tell.

** EDIT ** - After logging my usual draft on the phone as we found the cache this afternoon, just got home after a meeting, and sat down to log the cache properly.  Posted it; the draft, as expected, disappeared from the drafts on the computer.  I then pulled out my phone and checked the app - all that's there is the 4 drafts that are also still on the website from previous caches that I am still working on.

This one is fixed, as far as I can tell.  It's all working for me!!  Thanks again @geo_android!

Edited by CAVinoGal

Just a side note - I have 4 older "drafts" that stopped showing up on the phone, but they are preserved on the website.  That's fine - I figured once drafts reached a certain threshold they stopped showing in the app.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:23 PM, CAVinoGal said:

I then pulled out my phone and checked the app - all that's there is the 4 drafts that are also still on the website from previous caches that I am still working on.

My saved drafts are slowly disappearing from the app, though they still show on the website.  I have 4 drafts on the website:

• A multi (8 stage) - dated 3/8/18 that I am working on, the draft reminds me of my progress; I have posted a WN on the cache page but not from the draft.  I want to keep the draft.  It vanished form the app a few days ago (not sure exactly when)
  • A challenge I am working on - dated 4/28/18, and it disappeared from the phone app a day or two after the multi above dispapeared
  • A multi - dated 5/4/18 - it's still there on both the app and the website, so far
  • A traditional - dated 8/28/18 - still there on both the app and the website, so far

So, not a big deal, but the drafts were there, then they were not, then they were back, now they are vanishing.  As long as they stay on the website, I'm good.  It's just a bit confusing in the meantime.

19 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

So, not a big deal, but the drafts were there, then they were not, then they were back, now they are vanishing.  As long as they stay on the website, I'm good.  It's just a bit confusing in the meantime.

Hello!

That is definitely odd behavior. I will see what we can do on our side to recreate your situation and get some data around what is happening.

Thank you for following up and letting me know that it is still happening.

On 10/17/2018 at 2:56 PM, geo_android said:
On 10/16/2018 at 7:48 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Hello!

That is definitely odd behavior. I will see what we can do on our side to recreate your situation and get some data around what is happening.

Thank you for following up and letting me know that it is still happening.

More odd behavior with Drafts on the app and website out of sync.  ?

We were recently in Mexico; phone in airplane mode for much of the time getting to and from ports on the cruise ship, but I had an international data plan for the time in port while we were caching.  I still followed my usual pattern of logging drafts on the phone app, planning to do the actual logs once we got back to the states and I had a wifi connection for my laptop.  I had a dozen or more drafts from caches found on Catalina Island and in Mexico.

We got back to Long Beach and were driving to see family, stopped for a few caches along the way, and in the app, ALL MY DRAFTS WERE GONE!!  That was freaky - we could probably go back and remember what we did, but it was weird.  I figured maybe it had something to do with the international data plan and using a different carrier for the time we were in Mexico.  Later that night, with my laptop on the website, the drafts showed up (WHEW!) and I was able to log them all.  But the app had no drafts!

Somewhere along the line, the 4 older drafts I've been saving showed up again.  And today, one of those disappeared.  Not the oldest one either - all 4 are there on the website, but only 3 on the app.  A cache we found earlier this evening logged as a draft on the phone behaved "normally", once logged on the website, it disappeared from my phone as expected.  I'm now back to 3 drafts on the app and 4 on the website.  Very weird!

App Version 6.13.0

Android 9

Google Pixel

On 11/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, CAVinoGal said:

App Version 6.13.0

Android 9

Google Pixel

I saw an update to the app and intalled it, hoping to resolve this.  I'm still seeing  a difference in the drafts on the app and on the website, and now there's another issue (no audible alerts with the new app verison, reported in another thread.)

App Version 6.14.0

Android 9

Google Pixel

Edited by CAVinoGal
On 11/2/2018 at 10:16 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Somewhere along the line, the 4 older drafts I've been saving showed up again.  And today, one of those disappeared.  Not the oldest one either - all 4 are there on the website, but only 3 on the app. 

And today, another draft disappeared from the app, but not on the website.  

Multi - 3/8/2018 disappeared from app 11/6/18

Puzzle/challenge - 4/28/2018  Still on app

Multi - 5/4/2018 disappeared form app 11/2/2018

Traditional - 8/28/2018 Still on app

All 4 still show on the website, and have been there since the dates I made the drafts.  They seem to come and go randomly in the app.  Drafts I have been creating daily as we find caches, and then logging from the drafts later in the day or the next day, are behaving normally at this point.  Anyone else seeing this behavior?  Or doesn't anyone save drafts for months while attempting to work out the challenges or multi's?

On 11/6/2018 at 4:10 PM, CAVinoGal said:

All 4 still show on the website, and have been there since the dates I made the drafts.  They seem to come and go randomly in the app.  Drafts I have been creating daily as we find caches, and then logging from the drafts later in the day or the next day, are behaving normally at this point.  Anyone else seeing this behavior?  Or doesn't anyone save drafts for months while attempting to work out the challenges or multi's?

I've had problems with Drafts randomly disappearing from the Android app for over a year.  I've previously reported the problem directly to GS.

For me, the Drafts on the app would be correct if I logged out (then back in) to the app.  Does logging out/in work for you?  Keep in mind that logging out will delete any lists that you've downloaded for offline use, so don't test if that's a problem.

• Helpful 1
8 hours ago, noncentric said:

For me, the Drafts on the app would be correct if I logged out (then back in) to the app.  Does logging out/in work for you?

Yes, that worked!  All 4 drafts are now showing in the app as well as on the website.  For how long, who knows?  It's just so...random!  Anyway, that's a quick fix, but it still is annoying.

Thanks, noncentric!

4 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Yes, that worked!  All 4 drafts are now showing in the app as well as on the website.  For how long, who knows?  It's just so...random!  Anyway, that's a quick fix, but it still is annoying.

Thanks, noncentric!

It's a temporary fix.  They may get out-of-sync again, unless the underlying issue has been already been fixed.  I know it's being worked on.

I'm currently all caught up on my Drafts, for the first time in a long time, so haven't noticed if it still gets wonky or not.

I use the L4C app and the same is happening - they are sent from the app and then on the lap top they appear in drafts - but the logs are not showing on the web site... but the number count has increased... I then edit and send the drafts and they appear on the website logged against the cache page - but the number count goes up again. So I have an additional 20+ logs posted but looked at Project GC to see if there are duplicates listed... and there are none... so they are being double counted... but not showing on the cache page as such.

On 10/16/2021 at 3:19 AM, Banjo55 said:

I use the L4C app and the same is happening - they are sent from the app and then on the lap top they appear in drafts - but the logs are not showing on the web site... but the number count has increased... I then edit and send the drafts and they appear on the website logged against the cache page - but the number count goes up again. So I have an additional 20+ logs posted but looked at Project GC to see if there are duplicates listed... and there are none... so they are being double counted... but not showing on the cache page as such.

I use the official Geocaching App for Android; logged 10 drafts yesterday and then wrote the full logs from those drafts to post the finds today - all works as expected.  Drafts are gone, my Find count is accurate, and my logs are showing on the website cache page.

You said you are using the L4C app - maybe try asking in their forums?  This forum topic is for the GC Android app, I believe.