Bzzzzzzzz

Max and 99

FINALLY! I finally found an Insect Hotel after hoping for years to come across one. There's an Insect Zoo near me. They have done several Scouting activities for me, including driving a van load of insects an hour away to our GS Camp for my Fear Factor activity. I got thinking, if anyone would have an Insect Hotel on site, it'll be them!  I drove up and saw one and just about jumped up and down with glee. I asked the OSU students if I could take photos, and they said sure but it's not in the best shape. I almost told them "You don't understand. I'm so thrilled to find one that I don't care what condition it's in!" 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

FINALLY! I finally found an Insect Hotel

Congratulations.

We had a similar experience, however we found our insect hotel strictly by accident. 

We were in Bozeman, Montana and happen upon a Children's Museum. I checked the gate leading to the play area and it was open and spotted the insect hotel and just could not believe my eyes, I also was very thrilled to fine it. 

It took us 1,370 days since the first approved waymark to find our insect hotel. Translation: 3 years, 9 months and 1 day.

We have not found another one, however we keep looking. Bug Hotel

I guess that those are the best moments one can have with Waymarking. Congratulations.

Insect hotels aren't that rare here in Austria, but fish ladders are a bit harder to find. Fortunately I found one in Steyr that had no waymark yet, but since it is still the only fish ladder waymark in Austria and I don't usually visit my own waymarks, I saw no chance to post a visit of a fish ladder. But, in the last week of September we made a guided roundtrip through Scotland and one day our guide said that we would visit a fish ladder the next day. It turned out that she was talking about the Pitlochry Dam fish ladder and this is the only fish ladder waymark in entire Scotland and I was its first visitor. Most people in the group were not very excited, but I sure was.

• Love 1

Depending where you live, some categories are a real challenge, disregarding country specific categories. 

When preparing for trips, we focus on new categories, however must admit this is becoming increasingly more difficult and some just did not work out as planned. 

How far are you willing to go to find that elusive new category?

In our case, we have traveled hundreds of km.  Three come to mind:  Capital Buildings  Nuclear Power Plants  'Z' Welcome Signs

These three not only did we travel long distances, but they were what we call "a one shot category" (it was this one or nothing)

Funny thing, we were in Nova Scotia about three years ago and took pictures of a Outside Wooden Display Carvings (not particularly attractive and almost walked away).

Keith was doing waymarks from the area and realized much to our surprise it was Queen Victoria

Waymarking is an adventure, and it is this aspect that we enjoy the most: The unexpected surprises. 

6 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I guess that those are the best moments one can have with Waymarking. Congratulations.

Insect hotels aren't that rare here in Austria, but fish ladders are a bit harder to find. Fortunately I found one in Steyr that had no waymark yet, but since it is still the only fish ladder waymark in Austria and I don't usually visit my own waymarks, I saw no chance to post a visit of a fish ladder. But, in the last week of September we made a guided roundtrip through Scotland and one day our guide said that we would visit a fish ladder the next day. It turned out that she was talking about the Pitlochry Dam fish ladder and this is the only fish ladder waymark in entire Scotland and I was its first visitor. Most people in the group were not very excited, but I sure was.

sounds like that might have made the whole trip!  Congratulations on the grid square.

On ‎07‎.‎10‎.‎2018 at 6:07 PM, vulture1957 said:

sounds like that might have made the whole trip!  Congratulations on the grid square.

Scotland was just great. Fortunately, I will be able to fill several holes in the grid both for visited and posted waymarks. So far I posted my very first waymark in the categories:

And I visited my first waymark for the categories:

And the best thing is: So far I've only gone through the photos of the first day. :-)

Back to the initial posting. I just noticed that the Max and 99's Insect Hotel has been approved. Congratulations again and it looks very good.

Edited by PISA-caching
On 10/7/2018 at 4:18 PM, PISA-caching said:

Scotland was just great. Fortunately, I will be able to fill several holes in the grid both for visited and posted waymarks. So far I posted my very first waymark in the categories:

And I found my first waymark for the categories:

And the best thing is: So far I've only gone through the photos of the first day. :-)

Back to the initial posting. I just noticed that the Max and 99's Insect Hotel has been approved. Congratulations again and it looks very good.

I'm glad you posted this as I was just about to ask you what/how many new ones you got. When you have a complete tally let us know. I'm interested in knowing how well you did there.

BTW, did you get a chance to try the haggis (or mebbe the pizza ;))???

Keith