Suggestion: Enhance List Management

51MarLin

On a specific List page I would love to see:

(1) A Button to Map the List - the only way now is to go back to the My Lists page and select Map List from the 3 dots. It would be easy to add this I would think.

(2) Another Button (probably at the bottom, to Select just the Found caches in the List. (It could also Delete the Found Caches, but I don't mind 2 steps, one to select and then to delete the selected). I find that I want to prune my lists of those caches I've found but it's a bit of a pain to select each one individual.

Thanks,

51MarLin

• Upvote 1

A related feature that would be useful would be to allow pocket queries for bookmark lists to use the same filters as location-based pocket queries. For example, if the PQ for a bookmark list could include the "I have not found" filter, then you could leave the list contents alone and still easily download just the caches you haven't found.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:49 PM, niraD said:

A related feature that would be useful would be to allow pocket queries for bookmark lists to use the same filters as location-based pocket queries. For example, if the PQ for a bookmark list could include the "I have not found" filter, then you could leave the list contents alone and still easily download just the caches you haven't found.

Another related feature request would be to eliminate pocket queries entirely.

Before anyone freaks out, hear me out.

There are currently three ways to create search criteria which produces a "list" of geocaches.   One can use the main Search Page,   enter in a location and add some filters on the map page, or use the Pocket Query page.    There are two advantages using the PQ search page for creating search criteria to produce a list of caches.  The first is that the search criteria can be "saved" and  scheduled to periodically re-executed so that the same search criteria can produce a "new" copy of results given a set of search criteria.  The other is that,  when a PQ "runs" the results are encapsulated in a format that can be downloaded/transferred to a GPS.

So how would I eliminate pocket queries?   

First, consider the PQ feature that allows one to "save" their PQ so that in re-executes periodically.   If a user executes a search either from the search page or uses the map by entering a location (or zooming/panning the map) then selecting filters to narrow the results, either could be added to a "Saved Searches" page with a "Save Search" button.   For any "Saved Search", give it a name, and (optionally) add the name of a list where the results can be stored.  Here is where one could select whether or not (and when) the Saved Search would be re-executed and the results always going to the named list.  One should also be able to delete a Saved Search.

Secondly, make any  named list downloadable.   For any named list, provide an option to "download" the list as a (compressed) GPX file,  "Send To Garmin", show the results on a map, and save it as an offline list (for integration with the mobile apps).    Other options could be to save it in other formats, share the list with those (with a PM) on a friends list,  download the results in other formats (toc, csv, kml), or create a "print view".   One might also want to copy/merge a list into another list.  Although not previously mentioned, another way we can currently create a "list" of caches is as a Bookmark.   With the enhanced list features that I'm proposing, bookmarks could be treated the same as any other list of caches.   Of course, there were also be an option to Delete any list.  

One of the issues for such an implementation would be to create a distinction between what basic premium members can do.  The simplest solution would be limit the number of saved searches for basic members to a small number.

4 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

Another related feature request would be to eliminate pocket queries entirely.

Before anyone freaks out, hear me out.

There are currently three ways to create search criteria which produces a "list" of geocaches.   One can use the main Search Page,   enter in a location and add some filters on the map page, or use the Pocket Query page.    There are two advantages using the PQ search page for creating search criteria to produce a list of caches.  The first is that the search criteria can be "saved" and  scheduled to periodically re-executed so that the same search criteria can produce a "new" copy of results given a set of search criteria.  The other is that,  when a PQ "runs" the results are encapsulated in a format that can be downloaded/transferred to a GPS.

So how would I eliminate pocket queries?   

First, consider the PQ feature that allows one to "save" their PQ so that in re-executes periodically.   If a user executes a search either from the search page or uses the map by entering a location (or zooming/panning the map) then selecting filters to narrow the results, either could be added to a "Saved Searches" page with a "Save Search" button.   For any "Saved Search", give it a name, and (optionally) add the name of a list where the results can be stored.  Here is where one could select whether or not (and when) the Saved Search would be re-executed and the results always going to the named list.  One should also be able to delete a Saved Search.

Secondly, make any  named list downloadable.   For any named list, provide an option to "download" the list as a (compressed) GPX file,  "Send To Garmin", show the results on a map, and save it as an offline list (for integration with the mobile apps).    Other options could be to save it in other formats, share the list with those (with a PM) on a friends list,  download the results in other formats (toc, csv, kml), or create a "print view".   One might also want to copy/merge a list into another list.  Although not previously mentioned, another way we can currently create a "list" of caches is as a Bookmark.   With the enhanced list features that I'm proposing, bookmarks could be treated the same as any other list of caches.   Of course, there were also be an option to Delete any list.  

One of the issues for such an implementation would be to create a distinction between what basic premium members can do.  The simplest solution would be limit the number of saved searches for basic members to a small number.

One problem with eliminating PQs in this manner is that currently, there are some search criteria, particularly attributes, that are only available in PQs. Even worse, the new combo map/search function that's being rolled out to replace the existing "new search" has even fewer available search criteria. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a single fully-featured search engine rather than the PQ/old search/new search/new-new-search-map mish-mash at the moment, but I fear the trend is towards reducing search functionality with every iteration, not enhancing it.

• Upvote 4

PQs,  apart from being able save and/or schedule PQs, they offer  features not available any where else - - date range, attributes, the ability to select multiple states or countries for a single query (which need NOT be geographically contiguous), have TB, not found, updated in the last 7 days, are on my watch list (I've never used this, but it's there - makes Watch list equivalent to Bookmark).

In reporting on the differences between "old" map and "new beta" map, I noticed for the first time that OLD map is currently the only place on the site where you can select for individual event types. PQ returns all, Search returns all, New Map returns all (and rather abysmally for actual use).  You can directly manipulate Search URL to get only the event type you want, (I wanna CITO)  but darn few people understand a "feature" like that ;-)

A single unified search with all the available filters currently offered on maps/search/PQ would be sweet.

• Upvote 2
On 10/9/2018 at 5:42 PM, barefootjeff said:

One problem with eliminating PQs in this manner is that currently, there are some search criteria, particularly attributes, that are only available in PQs. Even worse, the new combo map/search function that's being rolled out to replace the existing "new search" has even fewer available search criteria. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a single fully-featured search engine rather than the PQ/old search/new search/new-new-search-map mish-mash at the moment, but I fear the trend is towards reducing search functionality with every iteration, not enhancing it.

Although not specifically mentioned, one of the features for what I was proposing would be to make search criteria consistent, whether one uses the search page or the map and that would include attributes and anything else available in PQs that isn't available in other search interfaces.  I certainly wasn't suggesting anything that that reduce search functionality.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:28 AM, Isonzo Karst said:

You can directly manipulate Search URL to get only the event type you want, (I wanna CITO)  but darn few people understand a "feature" like that ;-)

The fact that one can manipulate the search URL for something like getting only one type events indicates that the back end code supports that kind of search and it's just a matter of creating a UI which makes easier.  I don't consider URL rewriting to be a feature.  It's a workaround.

• Upvote 1
On 10/5/2018 at 5:49 PM, niraD said:

Along the same vein, I think, is if Bookmark Lists were included as an option on the existing PQ page.  Although admittedly, I think it's a stretch to expect that this would happen.  I would like it if I could use a Bookmark List as a base population when applying PQ criteria:

gc-lists-in-pq.PNG.ca220f5e4aae8349fd285e0202acc287.PNG