how to get Where I'm at coordinates?

gginnj

Is there a function to show you the coordinates of where you are at?

I know you get them by pulling up any cache, and clicking start

and then click the compass mode

But is there a direct way to see where you are?

I pulled up the  apple compass app however it gives location in deg and decimal minutes, not deg, min secs

This would be helpful when your tagging coordinates for a potential hide.

16 minutes ago, gginnj said:

Is there a function to show you the coordinates of where you are at?

I know you get them by pulling up any cache, and clicking start

and then click the compass mode

But is there a direct way to see where you are?

I pulled up the  apple compass app however it gives location in deg and decimal minutes, not deg, min secs

This would be helpful when your tagging coordinates for a potential hide.

I would expect to be able to change the coordinate format on your phone. Have you looked into that?

1 hour ago, gginnj said:

It's actually the opposite. The built-in compass app is hard-coded to display the coordinates in "degrees, minutes, seconds" (DMS), when what you want is "degrees, decimal minutes". The DMS format doesn't give good enough precision for caching use, because the smallest unit it can show (1 second) is equal to 0.017 minutes, which can lead to an error of 50-100 feet.

If you're trying to get coordinates for a hide using your phone, a single reading of the location will rarely be adequate anyway. You'll want to look for an app that can average your position over a period of time.

4 hours ago, cerberus1 said:
  1. Choose any cache on your app and scroll down to Waypoints
  2. Tap the + icon to add new waypoint
  3. Choose current coordinates to save as a waypoint

- From the Help Center / Hide a Cache.

That's a little easier.  Still like to see it as an option under "more" -> display current location  -  it's already programmed in the app, just needs another entry point to get to it.  Maybe on a future update.....maybe....

3 hours ago, The A-Team said:

It's actually the opposite. The built-in compass app is hard-coded to display the coordinates in "degrees, minutes, seconds" (DMS), when what you want is "degrees, decimal minutes". The DMS format doesn't give good enough precision for caching use, because the smallest unit it can show (1 second) is equal to 0.017 minutes, which can lead to an error of 50-100 feet.

If you're trying to get coordinates for a hide using your phone, a single reading of the location will rarely be adequate anyway. You'll want to look for an app that can average your position over a period of time.

Interesting....I would have thought that DMS and DM(decimal) would have been equal - but I see what you mean since the DMS, the second is a whole number where as the M(decimal) has a higher precision.

I never really thought about it - cachley does it what I want - if you tap the current location dot - it displays the coordinates and has a save option. Since I use both apps as I've found functions in each that I like over the other.