finder additional coords not shown on iPhone App

j2d2zhu

While caching on my iPhone in the field my GC App did not show coords provided by the previous logger.

https://coord.info/GC7WP60 - S.F. 49 HILL SERIES #30 MOUNT OLYMPUS

When I was out there I went to the posted coords but nada.  Reading the previous finder's log (on my iPhone) did not show anything.  However later when I was logging my DNF on my laptop I found that the previous finder had provided additional coords.

What can be done so previous logs are 'complete'?

j2d2zhu 

Edited by j2d2zhu
change

I wouldn't expect this to be added to the app, because that field is being deprecated. In the new logging form, you can no longer "add a coordinate to this log" [sic].

I used to add coordinates to a number of my logs when I found the coordinates to be off by quite a bit. I then realized that apps (Cachly didn't exist yet) and handheld GPSrs didn't show that field, so I've gotten into the habit of putting the coordinates directly into my log content. That way, anyone who can read previous logs can see the suggested coordinates.

• Helpful 1
59 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

I wouldn't expect this to be added to the app, because that field is being deprecated. In the new logging form, you can no longer "add a coordinate to this log" [sic].

I'd forgotten this problem with the new form since I never use it. Did GS actually say the field was deprecated? I always assumed they just hadn't gotten around to supporting it in the new form yet.

1 hour ago, The A-Team said:

I used to add coordinates to a number of my logs when I found the coordinates to be off by quite a bit. I then realized that apps (Cachly didn't exist yet) and handheld GPSrs didn't show that field, so I've gotten into the habit of putting the coordinates directly into my log content. That way, anyone who can read previous logs can see the suggested coordinates.

My PN-60 doesn't display the added coordinates either, so I appreciate people putting them directly into their logs. I do that when the corrected coordinates are really important. I wish we could just use the feature as intended, though.

1 hour ago, dprovan said:

Did GS actually say the field was deprecated? I always assumed they just hadn't gotten around to supporting it in the new form yet.

I looked back at the release notes for the new logging form, and you're right that they never said anything about it. It just wasn't included in the new form.

However, given that...

We’re committed to continually making enhancements to the new logging page and adding more functionality. Future updates to the page can be expected.

...yet very little has been changed in the last year-and-a-half and most of the feedback was never acted upon, I think it can be safely assumed that the feature isn't on its way back.

I still switch to the old logging form to add coordinates (in addition to writing them in my log), but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they pull the old logging form away from us at some point and we then lose that feature entirely.

15 hours ago, Keystone said:

I moved this thread from the general Geocaching Topics forum.

Well, I suppose that makes sense based on the OP, but the rest of this thread isn't iphone specific. As I mentioned, Delorme devices also don't show the attached coordinates. Do all the other devices show them? The main topic of this conversation has switched from the OP's question about the app showing coordinates to the more realistic question of whether anyone should use the attached coordinates feature to begin with. If we all stop using the feature or the feature disappears, then the OP's request for the app to display those coordinates becomes moot.

On 10/5/2018 at 8:33 AM, dprovan said:

Well, I suppose that makes sense based on the OP, but the rest of this thread isn't iphone specific. As I mentioned, Delorme devices also don't show the attached coordinates. Do all the other devices show them? The main topic of this conversation has switched from the OP's question about the app showing coordinates to the more realistic question of whether anyone should use the attached coordinates feature to begin with. If we all stop using the feature or the feature disappears, then the OP's request for the app to display those coordinates becomes moot. 

I do see 'added coordinates' on my eTrex20.

It shows me the added coords and distance between those added coords and the cache's posted coords.  Here's an example of a cache where I added coords using the 'old' logging form.

image.png.55e8af4187916d2a74f6ab395140cd90.png