SEarch Function needs fixing.

jiggs11

I'll reiterate here. For quite awhile now I've had only one reliable search method, and that is to format your search term in Waymarking's native format:

[lat:49.283036,lon:-112.206732]

Use that as a template and put it in the Near: field on the search page, pasting your own coords into it. (Keep the square brackets)

EDIT - Once you've successfully done it once, the template will remain in place on the search page. Thereafter one need only double click then paste each new coord for each new search.

Keith

Edited by BK-Hunters

Just typing up a sad story about how your search function didn't work when I decided not to put the minus sign in front of the longitude but in front of the latitude where it belongs. Now solved but a convoluted way of getting there. Perhaps the Lackeys could fix whatever broke.   

On 10/21/2018 at 8:19 PM, Tuena said:

Just typing up a sad story about how your search function didn't work when I decided not to put the minus sign in front of the longitude but in front of the latitude where it belongs. Now solved but a convoluted way of getting there. Perhaps the Lackeys could fix whatever broke.   

Given that you're "down under", that would seem a logical thing to do.

Convoluted - I couldn't agree more. However, since the search function has been anywhere between flaky and nonfunctioning for years now, I have gotten used to it and never even try to do it any other way any more.

Keith

On 10/24/2018 at 5:11 PM, BK-Hunters said:

Given that you're "down under", that would seem a logical thing to do.

Convoluted - I couldn't agree more. However, since the search function has been anywhere between flaky and nonfunctioning for years now, I have gotten used to it and never even try to do it any other way any more.

Keith

I was just "having a go', a stir about the hemispheres. No offence meant. I use your search option now. I go into Goggle Earth, write down the coordinates, type them into Geocaching Australia for the conversion, copy that etc. Google maps didn't work for me as I couldn't find any co-ordinates.  I've saved the searches into Notepad eg Bega [lat:-36.675133, lon:149.843133]  so I have a permanent record.

On 10/30/2018 at 8:13 PM, Tuena said:

I was just "having a go', a stir about the hemispheres. No offence meant. I use your search option now. I go into Goggle Earth, write down the coordinates, type them into Geocaching Australia for the conversion, copy that etc. Google maps didn't work for me as I couldn't find any co-ordinates.  I've saved the searches into Notepad eg Bega [lat:-36.675133, lon:149.843133]  so I have a permanent record.

Google Maps - maybe this will help. You need to click at the appropriate location on the map, sometimes more than once, then click on the coords in the little box that appears at the bottom. That copies them into the Google Maps search box, and in the correct format. Just copy and paste them directly from there.

Hint, if you're not using some sort of clipboard enhancement, you need to copy one, say LAT, change tabs then paste, change back to the Google Maps tab, copy LONG, change tabs yet again and paste again. If this sounds familiar you need a clipboard enhancement utility. I use one called Ditto Clipboard Manager. By the Sourceforge folks, it's a simple little open source enhancement that allows one to copy up to 10 items of any size then paste them using CTRL 1 through CTRL 0. It has saved me dozens of hours of time when building Waymarks. For example, when cross posting a WM, title through long description = CTRL C seven times (with a bunch of TABs in between), then CTRL 7 to CTRL 1 (with appropriate TABs in between again), changing tabs just once!

Here's another one - Notepad - if you use it you might want to try Notepad ++.  Intended as a source code editor, it allows tabs, as many as you want (or can fit) and offers a bunch of editing features not available elsewhere. I use it daily for many things. It's free, (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer"), it's small and blazingly fast when doing a huge, zillion page edit, for example.

BTW I wasn't taking offence at anything you wrote; I was just giving you a dig about being "down under", a situation which causes you to have to essentially reverse the way negative coords are handled by us "Northerners". :)

Keith