Position of found caches on map

M.B.E.S.

Currently, found (mystery) caches are shown on the map at the location of their 'bogus' coordinate. That's nice in case someone has put a lot of effort in making a nice GeoArt. This way, the GeoArt is restored when you found all the caches.

But.....
For multiple reasons it would be very handy to see the caches on the map at their final location (i.e. at the corrected coordinate's location):

• When planning to place a new cache, I would like to have an overview of the actual location of the caches in the target area. Since I found all the caches in my neighbourhood, I don't have this overview anymore.
  • When helping out other geocachers it's handy to quickly see the actual location of a cache.
  • etc.

Therefor I've got the following suggestion:
Is it possible to have a check box in my account settings or on the map itself (panel on https://www.geocaching.com/map/?) to be able to choose whether you want to see found caches on their actual (=corrected coordinate) location or on their bogus location?

Edited by M.B.E.S.
Added 'mystery' to clarify it a bit more.
  • Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

What you ask for won't help you to plan a new cache, since physical stages of other caches are also to subjected to the 161 meter / .1 mile radius rule.

Maintaining your own administration in GSAK (or even Basecamp or Google Earth) will do a far better job.

For a total list of your found caches, including the archived ones, you can run the My Finds PQ.

6 hours ago, StefandD said:

What you ask for won't help you to plan a new cache, since physical stages of other caches are also to subjected to the 161 meter / .1 mile radius rule.

It wouldn't do everything, but it would certainly help. For example, you may remember that a particular puzzle final was located in a park, but can't remember exactly which puzzle it was. Having it show at the corrected coordinates (or at least having the option to toggle that) would help.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, StefandD said:

Most puzzles and a fair proportion of multis don't have any physical waypoints other than the final, so having it show found puzzles and multis at their corrected coordinates would still be a big help in most instances.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I also agree and mentioned in the January 29th Release Notes thread that I'd like to see a toggle option for corrected vs posted coords.  Glad to see that I'm not the only one that would like to see something like this.

I think it's great that icons show at their posted coords sometimes and at their corrected coords at other times. There are at least 3 cases when location matter:

(1) When searching for a cache or planning a caching route - want to see corrected location

(2) When planning a hide - want to see corrected coords to avoid hiding too close

(3) When planning a hide - want to see posted coords to avoid overlapping icons

(4) When looking at GeoArt - want to see posted coords

One way to solve for these cases is to provide a toggle option for corrected coords:

• ON = caches with corrected coords show at corrected locations, with puzzle icons - all other caches show at posted coords with standard cache icons
  • OFF = all caches show at their posted coords, with standard cache icons