County Map Solutions

Alkhalikoi

As you may be aware, Google has upped the fees associated with using the API for Google Maps.  This has nerfed a few fun map-related sites such as www.thetruesize.com, but it's also ruined one of my favorite websites, www.mob-rule.com, a site long devoted to folks trying to visit all 3142 US Counties and County-equivalents.  I'm wondering if, for folks like me who try to nick off counties in our caching adventures, if you've found a good alternative to checking potential caches and cache routes to see that you can grab new counties.  

The next-best solution seems to be using Google Earth, but I find that pretty ungainly for cache-trip plotting.

Suggestions, comments, and/or gripes most welcome.

I'm a budding county cacher, having just topped 500 counties cached.  I like planning in GSAK (using any map choice other than Google to show counties), and in Project-GC (especially the "Map Counties" tool).  I am learning how to use Cachetur, which looks to be the best resource of all to bring with you into the field after the planning is finished.

I use Project-GC.com to map my counties found. If you are a paying member, there is a selection under the Tools tab to check the counties found by a user.  It can show the entire country or by state. (Attached file is your CA map - non-found counties are red.)

Alkhalikoi - CA counties.png

20 hours ago, Alkhalikoi said:

As you may be aware, Google has upped the fees associated with using the API for Google Maps.  This has nerfed a few fun map-related sites such as www.thetruesize.com, but it's also ruined one of my favorite websites, www.mob-rule.com, a site long devoted to folks trying to visit all 3142 US Counties and County-equivalents.  I'm wondering if, for folks like me who try to nick off counties in our caching adventures, if you've found a good alternative to checking potential caches and cache routes to see that you can grab new counties.  

The next-best solution seems to be using Google Earth, but I find that pretty ungainly for cache-trip plotting.

As a amateur radio operator or HAM, we can work all counties via radio! That being said there must be alternative ways to log counties and many other map sources. Now HAM radio operators do this from their easy chair so no travel involved but for geocaching, it's another story.

A shameless plug for HAM radio !

P&B

On 10/2/2018 at 8:54 PM, Alkhalikoi said:

I use mob-rule to plan all my road trip routes and was a little dismayed to see the site had fallen prey to Google. Since I have a personal Google API key I contacted the mob-rule site owner and a few days later he replied with instructions on how to use my API key. After adding my key per his instructions all is well again.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:54 PM, Alkhalikoi said:

In the Leaflet maps, Esri WorldStreetMap shows county boundaries when you're zoomed in far enough.  I find this very useful for trip planning.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

You might want to monitor the new-maps thread to see if those are on the chopping block.

I can't see the new maps myself, but I got the impression the list of map choices was (cough!) shortened.  Now's your chance if it matters to you.

Oh yes, somebody said these were all going away.  I don't get the connection:  Google has increased their fees so all the other maps go away?  

I just looked at Project-GC.com and see that Esri WorldStreetMap is available there, with county lines and geocaches.  So I guess that's where I'll be going for my trip planning.  Maybe I'll be so grateful that I get a paid membership there.  

Edited by NanCycle
Added comments.

All the maps, afaik, have fees or free-tier limits*.  It's possible the other providers have raised fees and/or tightened limits under cover of Google's move.  But that's just speculation.

Groundspeak's own map ("Geocaching" or "Trails" depending on no good reason) might be an exception, depending on how they serve up those maps.

(* Remember MapQuest OSM?  I think that was a notable exception.  Free unlimited tiles for everybody.  But when someone at MapQuest looked at their own bills, they put an end to that free ride for everybody.  I think that's what pushed Groundspeak to spin their own version.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
On 10/7/2018 at 3:01 PM, 31BMSG said:

I use mob-rule to plan all my road trip routes and was a little dismayed to see the site had fallen prey to Google. Since I have a personal Google API key I contacted the mob-rule site owner and a few days later he replied with instructions on how to use my API key. After adding my key per his instructions all is well again.

This is a fantastic solution for you.

7 hours ago, Alkhalikoi said:

This is a fantastic solution for you.

I forgot to mention, unless there have been recent changes you can get the Google API from Google at no cost. Even the paid version is reasonable, 100,000 map loads a month for $7, at my busiest I've never gone above 300 map loads.