Rules of Mystery Cache

KACOE

So i was thinking about making a cache and am wondering about the various types. I know there is a maximum distance between one multi cache to another. However, does this rule apply to "mystery caches". Like could i make the start cache here and the coordinates for the final stage in like Africa if i wanted?

4 minutes ago, KACOE said:

So i was thinking about making a cache and am wondering about the various types. I know there is a maximum distance between one multi cache to another. However, does this rule apply to "mystery caches". Like could i make the start cache here and the coordinates for the final stage in like Africa if i wanted?

We can't guess where "here" is.

The final coordinates need to be within 2 miles of the posted coordinates.

4 minutes ago, KACOE said:

I know there is a maximum distance between one multi cache to another.

No,  there is a minimum distance

Extract from the guidelines:

Mystery or Puzzle Caches

For many caches of this type, the coordinates listed are not of the
actual cache location but a general reference point, such as a
nearby parking location. Unless a good reason otherwise can be
provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2
miles (2-3 kilometres) away from the true cache location. This
allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to
keep the mileage of Trackables that find their way into the cache
reasonably correct.

Greetings, Mausebiber

18 minutes ago, KACOE said:

There is a maximum distance for a mystery cache from its start to its final.  That is 2 miles.  This does not apply to multis.

There is a minimum distance for any physical stage of any type of cache to a physical stage of another cache.  That is .1 mile.

2 hours ago, KACOE said:

Like could i make the start cache here and the coordinates for the final stage in like Africa if i wanted?

If your posted coordinates are at Niagara Falls you can not put your final container in Africa, because it is over 2 miles from your posted coordinates,  but you can have unlimited intermediate stages anywhere, for example, in Africa as long as you have a maintenance plan for them.

If you cache type is multi-cache this restriction does not apply.

Edited by arisoft

There is a restriction of some kind on multi caches but I dont know if it's well documented, I havent looked. I know that there was a multi that started in london heathrow and finished in auckland, New Zealand and it had to be archived and replaced with a multi starting in auckland (although nothing at all at the first stage) then to heathrow, then back to the final in auckland. Sll st the behest of a local nz reviewer. YMMV

1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

There is a restriction of some kind on multi caches but I dont know if it's well documented, I havent looked. I know that there was a multi that started in london heathrow and finished in auckland, New Zealand and it had to be archived and replaced with a multi starting in auckland (although nothing at all at the first stage) then to heathrow, then back to the final in auckland. Sll st the behest of a local nz reviewer. YMMV

There are dozens of interstate multis in Australia (see this list of them) with start and finish points thousands of kilometres apart in some instances.

I'd suggest the OP read through this page of the Help Centre about cache types and also the Guidelines as these might best answer your questions.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

YOU have to be able to maintain ALL stages... Or have a very good plan, that will convince the Reviewer that the cache can be maintained in a 'reasonable time'

Thank you for the answer we have looked for a while now! We were told not to have hides in Tennessee as we did not live there, so we removed them. Even though we visited butterfly's mom many times..... We live in Michigan.

We have looked at quite a few geocaches hidden in states or countries by caches who live no where near. Now the International Space Station is an exception! Some of our more distant geocaches have been looked after by friends in the area, many thanks to these cachers!

Then there is this fellow who lives in the Netherlands but has a hidden cache in Africa.....

P&B

49 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

There are dozens of interstate multis in Australia (see this list of them) with start and finish points thousands of kilometres apart in some instances.

Yes - within the same country.  Maybe there are some that cross borders, I don't know.  But apparently to the other side of the world is too far.  I'm not sure where or if this is actually documented somewhere but there is some kind of restriction.

7 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

But apparently to the other side of the world is too far.

Too far for who? For me, "too far"  is over 500km but the other side of the world would be quite interesting challenge and not more difficult than any long haul multi-cache.

11 hours ago, poikää & butterfly said:

Thank you for the answer we have looked for a while now! We were told not to have hides in Tennessee as we did not live there, so we removed them. Even though we visited butterfly's mom many times..... We live in Michigan.

We have looked at quite a few geocaches hidden in states or countries by caches who live no where near. Now the International Space Station is an exception! Some of our more distant geocaches have been looked after by friends in the area, many thanks to these cachers!

Then there is this fellow who lives in the Netherlands but has a hidden cache in Africa.....

P&B

I wouldn't use the ISS cache as indicative of anything.  It's really more of a novelty than a an actual cache.  You'll find various examples of caches a long way away from the CO's home location for a few reasons.  They CO could have a maintenance plan which identifies someone that will maintain it when they are not there.  The "no vacation" cache guideline hasn't always been in place.  I know of one specific CO that placed caches all over the world before the guideline was put in place.  I've found a couple of them, including one in Africa.  Sometimes a cache submissions just slips through the cracks.