Geocaching app for Android Data Hog

Just wanted to see if anyone else has noticed if their data usage with the geocaching app has skyrocketed. The last 2 months the amount of data used by the app has jumped way up. Sure I've used the app a bit more and I always turn it off when not in use but, the data usage has at least tripled. Wonder if it could be due to recent updates or what?

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's all the mysterious connections to "localytics" reported here.  That's suspicious, to say the least.

Groundspeak's app has an offline mode, so it should be possible to cache in airplane mode, using no data.  Can't say I've tried it with the Groundspeak app, but airplane mode works fine with a different caching app I'm fond of.

2 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Groundspeak's app has an offline mode, so it should be possible to cache in airplane mode, using no data.  Can't say I've tried it with the Groundspeak app, but airplane mode works fine with a different caching app I'm fond of.

The Official app does indeed work in Airplane mode, although it will only show the "Trails" (OSM) map layer while offline.  I've also found that it doesn't load the photos in the cache description when offline, which can be an issue for some caches (Multis, EC's, etc) - in which case I just turn off Airplane mode for a few minutes.  I do like using the app to enter Drafts Field Notes though, compared to my eTrex 20.