Something went wrong with the image upload, please try again later.

setter2002

I don't know what to tell you other than that something went wrong, and when you tried again later, it worked.

Could be a network issue, could be a website issue, could be connectivity at your end.

If you can give more information as to what you were doing and how you were connecting to geocaching.com (app, phone browser, laptop browser, data connection, wifi connection, etc.), it may help them help you.

2 hours ago, barnold said:

just an error message that something went wrong, Please, try later......

One of my pet hates, as an engineer, is error messages that just say "something went wrong". How is that helpful to anyone? If you don't know what went wrong, how can you fix it or work around it? I really despise this fashion trend of dumbing everything down to the point where it's useless.

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

One of my pet hates, as an engineer, is error messages that just say "something went wrong". How is that helpful to anyone? If you don't know what went wrong, how can you fix it or work around it? I really despise this fashion trend of dumbing everything down to the point where it's useless.

One of the reasons that sites will just respond with "something went wrong" is that one of the ways that hackers will compromise a system is by forcing an error condition and examining the results.  As a security precaution developers will intentionally be vague about what went wrong to  make it more difficult for hackers to compromise their system.  

9 hours ago, longwhatton34 said:

I can't get it to work either. I'm trying to upload images to the page. It won't work via the edit page or upload to gallery. I had the same issue a few months ago but I don't know what I did to make it work. Downsizing the images doesn't fix it.

Without lots of specifics, I would have to guess what your problem is.  :ph34r:

I routinely upload JPG image files without issue, so whatever it is, it certainly doesn't affect everyone.  I usually resize to 800x600 using a batch resizing program, or a phone App to resize them.

Today I uploaded photos I obtained from my HTC U11 phone, without issue.  These are unaltered 2.25MB JPG image files at 4032x3024 pixels.  They take a little while to upload.  I'm on a hotel wifi hotspot, and it's still working OK.  The site resizes the images to 2048x1536.

Windows can open many image files that a web site's image server can't handle.  I'm guessing in the case of issues mentioned in this thread, that it's something funky with the file source (the file created by some kind of camera type device), or the file extension.  Supposing it's a Windows system, if you batch resize the images in Fotosizer to 1024x768 or less (at least for testing), but otherwise use the default settings to produce a JPG file, they should then upload just fine.

Here's one I uploaded, so I know it can work.  If you still get the errors while test-loading that one, provide details about at least the PC and browser you use.

Edited by kunarion
23 minutes ago, kunarion said:

I usually resize to 800x600

<off-topic>

That spurred me to find one of those 800-across pictures, to see if they're still being downsized to 640 for the little popup "lightbox".  Yes, they are, darnit!  That was a real loss when they shrunk the max from 800 down to 640 years ago.

It's not like they're doing that to save disk space, because they still keep the larger versions.  Are we a dying breed, those of us who use big monitors?  (...to look at small pictures.)

Natural beauty can be hard to fit into 640px.

</off-topic>

Anyway...  Uploading 640px (640x480) has always been trouble-free for me.  I always resize to 640 because anything more is wasted.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
Adding a wee bit of on-topic
13 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

<off-topic>

That spurred me to find one of those 800-across pictures, to see if they're still being downsized to 640 for the little popup "lightbox".  Yes, they are, darnit!  That was a real loss when they shrunk the max from 800 down to 640 years ago.

It's not like they're doing that to save disk space, because they still keep the larger versions.  Are we a dying breed, those of us who use big monitors?  (...to look at small pictures.)

Natural beauty can be hard to fit into 640px.

</off-topic>

Yeah.  While I was testing what the image servers currently resize large images to, I saw some popups as small as 552x414.  And when one of those are in view, you must make a special effort to get to the full-sized image.  That's one reason I'm at 800x600 (and I sure could go even smaller, for the same reasons).  Who's gonna ever find the nice big version of my log photos if I sent them? :huh:

Edited by kunarion