Make my Cache Public

DNLMNNNG

1 hour ago, DNLMNNNG said:

Hi All, I have just made a new hide and it has defaulted to premium members only, how do I make this public like all my other hides?

Assuming you mean GC7XTY4, it's not PMO (as a Basic member, you can't create a PMO cache). Its 3.5 terrain rating however will prevent Basic members from seeing it on the official app, which limits them to D2/T2 or lower traditionals only, but Basic members can still see it and log it on the website and on some of the third party apps. A PMO cache is a different beast altogether.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
9 hours ago, DNLMNNNG said:

Ah ha it was the overall rating, I have set lower and have confirmed ok. Thanks heaps.

Change from 3.5/2.0 to 2.0/1.5 without changing the setup means that your rating were originally inaccurate or they are now inaccurate. How did you choose those values originally?

Edited by arisoft
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

Note that the terrain/difficulty restrictions are ONLY on the "official" app. Use any of the other geocaching apps and you'll see higher terrain/difficulty caches.

It's better to have accurate ratings than to "game the system" by lowering it so that the non-PMOs using the "official" app can see it.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
23 hours ago, TriciaG said:

Note that the terrain/difficulty restrictions are ONLY on the "official" app. Use any of the other geocaching apps and you'll see higher terrain/difficulty caches.

Are  you sure about that?   I always assumed that he official and any authorized partner apps  which use the Geocaching API,  would work the same.  If its the API which enforces the D/T rating (and limit of 3 downloads a day) for basic members, then most mobile apps (with the exception of one which refuses to play by the rules) wouldn't show that 3.5 D cache.   Basic users *can* see high D/T caches when using the web site however. 

1 hour ago, TriciaG said:

Yep, I'm sure. The D/T restriction is only on the "official" app.

Yes, they each have different restrictions.  I've imagined that it's by design, the 3rd party Apps requiring "verification" just as the web site does, the Official App allowing people to test it with no particular obligation nor paperwork.  If the only way you've heard of "Geocaching" is from the App Store, and you load the Official App and try it out, you want to also find a cache.  An easy one.

Edited by kunarion
53 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If the only way you've heard of "Geocaching" is from the App Store, and you load the Official App and try it out, you want to also find a cache.  An easy one.

Yeah, if you're this person--saw this log on a cache I found the other day:

Bored, so I got this app, this was the closest one so I decided why not

2 hours ago, BillyGee said:

Then all of them are "official".
For example, see Cachly: http://www.cach.ly/help/index.php/Basic_Member

The limitations in that article aren't accurate. I just logged in to Cachly with a Basic account, and I was able to view caches right up to T5.

There are actually a number on inaccuracies in their FAQs. For example, under "Can Cachly automatically refresh the live map as I scroll around?", their explanation simply isn't true. I tested by scrolling around and refreshing a bunch in Cachly, and my API balance wasn't affected at all.

10 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Yep, and this is why having that restriction is not a good idea.

Or it is not good idea to reveal the reason why the cache is not shown. ;)

Some COs adjust D/T higher just to prevent newbies to destroy the cache if they don't want to set PO.

• Upvote 1