Inaccurate TB counts in Caches

Raider74

I'm fairly new to geocaching and have discovered that many times a cache lists a TB in it, but when we find the cache it is empty.  We recently found a TB hotel that listed 9 in the inventory, yet not a single one was actually in the cache!  We have come to realize that most of the times the inventory list is inaccurate and we count it as a pleasant surprise when we find a TB.  However... my question is this... is the CO the only person who can mark TB's as missing from their caches to update the inventory?  Wouldn't it make more sense for anyone who finds a cache to be able to update the TB count?  Or to mark TB's missing?  Wouldn't that make TB inventory counts more accurate?  Just simply wondering...  :)

1 hour ago, Raider74 said:

is the CO the only person who can mark TB's as missing from their caches to update the inventory? 

Wouldn't it make more sense for anyone who finds a cache to be able to update the TB count?  Or to mark TB's missing? 

Wouldn't that make TB inventory counts more accurate? 

The trackable's Owner can mark it missing too, and (I feel) they should be the first to do so,  but many don't. 

I believe some may think it'll magically pop up the minute they do, not thinking that one can simply "Grab" it to be back in play. 

Others,  the Owner may be long gone from the hobby.

We've used ammo cans the last couple years.  When we check (during maintenance) of someone with a "no trackable" in their log,  more than half the time the trackable's still there.   Buried in "stuff", or stuck to something ... they miss it. 

- I'd prefer someone not paying attention didn't have that kind of access to my cache page thanks. 

I like to keep things accurate.

There is a program that "fixes"  incorrect trackable inventories based on an algorithm.  IIRC, the site's only used it once so far. 

If people would log trackable actions accurately there'd be no need for such a thing.   Good luck with that...

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Raider74 said:

I'm fairly new to geocaching and have discovered that many times a cache lists a TB in it, but when we find the cache it is empty.  We recently found a TB hotel that listed 9 in the inventory, yet not a single one was actually in the cache!  We have come to realize that most of the times the inventory list is inaccurate and we count it as a pleasant surprise when we find a TB.  However... my question is this... is the CO the only person who can mark TB's as missing from their caches to update the inventory?  Wouldn't it make more sense for anyone who finds a cache to be able to update the TB count?  Or to mark TB's missing?  Wouldn't that make TB inventory counts more accurate?  Just simply wondering...  :)

Geocachers have great enthusiasm for harvesting trackable items from Geocaches. There is in no way the same enthusiasm for “accuracy”. If there was, the item would be promptly and properly logged, and not threatened with being marked “Missing”. The item didn't evaporate, it was taken an awaits that accurate log. The Owner will have seen many disappointingly inaccurate logs throughout the item's travels. The fact that someone already took a TB that you wanted to take, that's not a priority for an Owner. He's waiting for a true log from the taker.

One problem with allowing just anyone to marking it “Missing” is, once that happens, it's harder to log it. For example, while listed in a cache, the item can then be logged at the Geocacher's leisure (some log it months late), “Retreived” from the cache, “Dropped” into another cache. People come to the Forums all the time when they have no idea how to log a TB that is not in its listed cache. Adding more steps to log a TB causes more to be lost for good. I would rather have some harvesters inconvenienced than have “accuracy” at the cost of even less TBs remaining in play.  Remember that the cache Inventory was in fact accurate before the harvester arrived.

Another problem with allowing just anyone to mark it missing is as cerberus1 said, the item is sometimes still right there in the cache. I work with TBs very carefully, yet, unless the container is empty, I almost never declare that the TB is not there. Most people will not search absolutely every item in a container to be sure. Even when they do, it takes a lot of research, since the item and even its tracking number tag may have changed from what is seen on the listing page. It's even harder to decide how long ago an item may have been taken. Look at the logs, and someone said they “took a TB” two weeks ago, I wouldn't want to cause any alarm that it's “Missing”.  It's awaiting a log.

When I see posts in this very Forum about how a Taker is waiting for a coveted item to be marked “Missing”, so the taker feels justified to keep it once the owner “has given up on it”, I would rather allow TBs to remain in the cache's Inventory. It's seriously unfair to give away someone else's property simply because the Taker won't log it, at which point others insist that the Inventory be cleaned up for them to see the remaining “accurate” caches to pick from. I'd prefer inaccuracy, for sure.

But there's good news :ph34r: if you like TB's to be Marked Missing:  Geocaching.com and subordinates and volunteers have marked at least many thousands missing in sweeps and by request, and continue to do so.  And they actively cause the issues that get the items to become "missing", and you don't even want to know that story.

Edited by kunarion

I think it's primarily (almost entirely) the trackable owner's job to Mark Missing - which moves the trackable virtually to an Unknown location, instead of it showing up virtually in a cache where it is  not.

The most useful thing you can do  is log to the trackable page that TB is not seen in cache.  Use the reference number for that Write Note log.

I agree with cerberus1 - as owner of many ammo can caches, I've found "missing" TBs buried in them numerous times.  

TB in an Unknown Location, if logged after that, it  begins its travels from its last known location:  cache or cacher's hands.  No Harm done. None, nada, zero.  There's nothing  harder about logging a trackable from Unknown location rather than from a Geocache. No extra logging, no corrections need to be made The causes of missing trackables and the placement of missing trackables into an Unknown location have no connection. People who actively steal trackables are neither enabled by Unknown location, nor deterred by trackable in Name of cache, or in hands of Geocacher.  Most missing trackables are simply misplaced or mislogged by cachers.

The sweep of missing trackable via algorithm has happened twice. That it has (especially the second time) with no complaints in these forums is a testament to its effectiveness.

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=41&pgid=397

• Upvote 1